Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

List numbers

qantasqf1

List numbers

Post by qantasqf1 »

Part 1) A mate of mine has a Daimler (or Lanchester) pre selector gearbox and he tells me externally it’s identical to the DB18 gearbox. However, its List Number is 25470, and since the two types of DB18 gearboxes are 27509 and 28509 it’s not from a DB18, unless either very early cars had different ratios, or other Daimler models fitted a similar bell housing and FF. In short, he has no idea what car it was fitted to, and for that matter neither have I. Can anyone help? I tried a search on the Forum, but to my profound chagrin nothing doing.
Part 2) It occurred to me that a catalogue of all List Numbers identifying which type of car the assembly was fitted to may be helpful. God knows, there’s plenty of them!
Steve.

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Re: List numbers

Post by Brian-H »

Is thread from a couple of months back relevant ? viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5599

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

I’d love a full list of Daimler and Lanchester list numbers.
It would be an Herculean task for someone to do especially as some cars never had a spare parts catalogue produced for them.

JedFurneaux

Post by JedFurneaux »

The TC 89 parts book for my '34 LQ2 states 25237.

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Hi Steve,
Chris Maher may be able to help.
He has all the Daimler Manuals so maybe could flick through them looking for that list number, 25470.
You saw my email that I finally extracted the digit and took the Special Sports in to have the leaking fluid flywheel seal replaced? The mechanic was going to do it all yesterday but found, upon taking out the old seal, that a second one was fitted behind it, so it is off to Consolidated Bearings tomorrow for another seal. Arf arf.
I had heard of a double lipped modern seal being fitted to the fluid flywheel shaft but never two of the same. he figured that it would be better to just get the second seal rather than have to remake the retaining washer and packing.
Interesting.
Cheers
Peter G

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi , yes I’ve advocated fitting Two seals for a very long time now, and it works very well.
The method I use ,is to fit the first seal ( Flat side towards you) right to the bottom of the aperture, then fit a second seal in a similar orientation ,so that it is flush with the top of the aperture, having done this, lubricate the inner seal with a light application of Grease, then fill the cavity between the Two seals, this will ensure that the outer seal does not run dry .
Reassemble cover plate etc.

Cheers Al 😊😊

Taken from one of Al’s “How to do articles “ 😊😊😊😣

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Thanks A’l,
I’ve left that message for the mechanic working on the car.
Cheers
Peter G