Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Pre war suspension....

JedFurneaux

Pre war suspension....

Post by JedFurneaux »

Fed up with these bloody 'Luvax' units.....has anyone ever tried/considered/researched converting a pre war Daimler/Lanchester to telescopic dampers....?

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Pre war suspension....

Post by ranald »

My 15/18 had already lost it’s Luvax dampers when I bought it. Andre Hartford friction discs had been fitted. I removed them and successfully fitted telescopic units all round. I was lucky as a kind neighbour fabricated the brackets for me. I can take some photos if you want. I’d recommend it. All the best, Ranald

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Just one word of warning. .................

If you do fit telescopic dampers, avoid any form of welded on fittings - and especially DO NOT weld any brackets direct to the front axle, as it is a specially heat-treated steel.

P.S.
Nothing wrong with Luvax dampers when serviced correctly, of which the manual is available on the internet.

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

Hi, Mine is all ‘bolt on’ and can be removed by anyone in the future who can find (and would prefer) the correct Luvax units. I went for Spax gas filled units made to order. I attach a photo of the front ones.
4E4FC7F6-9DB1-4444-A0FD-88BF4E113185.jpeg
. All the best, Ranald

JedFurneaux

Post by JedFurneaux »

ranald wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:25 am My 15/18 had already lost it’s Luvax dampers when I bought it. Andre Hartford friction discs had been fitted. I removed them and successfully fitted telescopic units all round. I was lucky as a kind neighbour fabricated the brackets for me. I can take some photos if you want. I’d recommend it. All the best, Ranald
I'd love some photos, please! Also any details about the tele units fitted.
Thanks in anticipation,
Jeremy.

JedFurneaux

Post by JedFurneaux »

Stan Thomas wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:21 am Just one word of warning. .................

If you do fit telescopic dampers, avoid any form of welded on fittings - and especially DO NOT weld any brackets direct to the front axle, as it is a specially heat-treated steel.

P.S.
Nothing wrong with Luvax dampers when serviced correctly, of which the manual is available on the internet.
Thanks, Stan. If I do convert it would be 'bolt on' mods that could be removed easily without any fundamental alteration.
The Luvax units I have are not the originals as according to 'Vintage Shock Absorbers' (Surrey) mine should have iron mounting flanges instead of ally. Having removed them, flushed them with petrol and refilled with Castrol 140D I have no damping whatsoever! Quite frankly the whole set up with bushed lever arms looks a bit 'Heath Robinson' and I'm damned sure if tele units had been invented back then Daimler would have used them.
In addition it looks like the cost of professional restoration is very expensive and in any case Vintage Shock Absorbers can't take anything on until the New Year.
I did download the manual but found it not very helpful and necessitating some pretty complex operations.
Some replies on here sound very positive and seem to to involve intrusive work so I'll see how it goes.
Very best wishes,
Jeremy.

JedFurneaux

Post by JedFurneaux »

ranald wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:59 pm Hi, Mine is all ‘bolt on’ and can be removed by anyone in the future who can find (and would prefer) the correct Luvax units. I went for Spax gas filled units made to order. I attach a photo of the front ones. 4E4FC7F6-9DB1-4444-A0FD-88BF4E113185.jpeg. All the best, Ranald
Thanks, Ranald.
Your system looks good and I would appreciate some more photos if you are able. What model Daimler do you have?

Best wishes,

Jeremy.

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

Hi Jed, Ive sent you an email through the forum. Thanks Ranald