Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Special Sports Tool Storage

clevitt

Special Sports Tool Storage

Post by clevitt »

Can anybody post a photo showing how the various tools are stowed in the spare wheel compartment of the Special Sports ? The compartment has a single Terry Clip ( for wheel brace ?) and two straps ( for foot pump and tool roll ?); but I can't see an obvious method to secure the jack handle . The owners handbook indicates a similar tool inventory for the Consort, so possibly the Consort may have the same tool storage arrangement.
Many thanks,
Chris

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Special Sports Tool Storage

Post by Peter Grant »

Hi Chris,
There is a steel tool carrier that fits to the left of the spare wheel that holds the jack handle and oiler as well as the foot pump.
If you have the Great Marques Video of Daimler you will see the arrangement displayed by the Late great David Adcock on his own beautifully restored Special Sports.
I think I have some photos of the tool carrier.
If i can will post otherwise send me a message through the Forum and I can email you some photos.
Cheers
Peter Grant

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Hi Chris,
i found some photos i took of the tool carrier from the Special Sports.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Peter Grant
Attachments
05900035.JPG
05900034.JPG
05900033.JPG
05900032.JPG

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Hi Chris,

And one more photo!

So the tool carrier sits on the two timber strips on the spare wheel well floor to the left of the spare wheel, secured by straps if they are still there.

the foot pump actually sits within the tool carrier.

The tool roll sits between the spare wheel and the lip of the spare wheel well (just in front of the drain hole) with straps securing it and there is a spare wheel stay that bolts into the mounting just to the left of the spare wheel.

Cheers
Peter Grant
Attachments
05900036.JPG

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

The breadth and depth of knowledge and resource on the forum never ceases to amaze me!
I never knew there was such an arrangement of tools and storage.
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Hi Graham,

I have yet to fully fathom all the tool storage in the DE, there is one on the driver side wheel arch I have yet to fill!

Cheers
Peter G

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

Thanks Peter.

Where can we see the David Adcock video ?

Btw be very pleased to see how the tools on the DB18 Empress are stored. (Even The very reliable Bob Friday couldn’t help).

There is no metal box ala ss, but a tray on the lower deck with an impressive array of took clips and clamps. However I have never worked out what goes where.

clevitt

Post by clevitt »

Many thanks Peter for a very comprehensive reply . The mention of a steel tool container chimes with a post by GrahamH last year about Consort tool storage (I have yet to master the technique to include a link to previous posts). Like many other owners, my container is missing, but I can see how it would fit to to the left of the spare wheel .
The rear of the container could be retained by the clip on the cover that gives access to the petrol tank sender ( I wrongly described this as a Terry Clip); and the front by the canvas strap that you can see in this photo?
IMG_1261.JPG
The other point of interest to me is that the handle part of the jack operating mechanism is separate from the shaft. Mine is firmly one piece, and I can't see any obvious method of separating the two parts unless there is something hidden under the DWS label.
Like David, I look forward to the Great Marques Video link to help me decide how best to stow the tools without that steel contaner.
Chris

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

Chris, if you can’t find a tool/box, maybe make one ?

It is a simple folded and tacked square with
Lots of tool clips. (Maybe I exaggerate but ,,)

Anyway, I have one, and would be prepared to photograph , and or draw it.

If enough interest, maybe get a batch made ?

Let me know

clevitt

Post by clevitt »

Thanks David, it's an idea that is worth investigation: could you email me some photos with dimensions, and I'll try locally to get a budgetary cost. No rush as I can't do much for the next few weeks :?
In the meantime, we'll see if there is an interest in a batch manufacture.
Chris