Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Delaney Gallay Heater

ChrisJW

Delaney Gallay Heater

Post by ChrisJW »

My 1949 DB18 DHC has a circular Delaney Gallay heater/demister. It is not working. Does anybody have a manual or operating instructions/information to enable me to remove , strip, repair and get this item working please?

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Delaney Gallay Heater

Post by Stan Thomas »

Hi Chris,

You don't say if the fault is the electrics (motor) or it does not get hot.

If the latter, the most common fault is the unit needs bleeding of air. Try detaching the outlet water hose whilst running the engine. Bit of a fiddly job.

ChrisJW

Post by ChrisJW »

Hi Stan
The whole unit is as dead as a dodo. There are no tubes from the outlets to the demister mouldings below the windscreen. There is no apparent electrical supply to it as far as I can see and a really strange fact is that a pair of wires actually enter the heater via one of the demister outlets. There is a small sign of rust and moisture at the bottom front of the unit. There appears to be a pair of little doors on the front that can be prised open at risk to finger nails but little holes suggest that there should be knobs to enable the doors to be opened to permit hot air to enter the car. I think I will have to isolate the heater by sealing the water pipes from the front of the engine and physically removing it from the car. Hopefully I will then be able to dismantle it for a full diagnosis. An instruction or maintenance leaflet would be useful. There does not appear to be any mention of the heater in any of the DB18 literature that I have seen. Was it an optional extra?
Regards Chris.

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Hi Chris,

It may not be a factory optional extra as such - more likely to be an aftermarket heater for universal fitting. Assuming the input/outpt hoses are equal diameter - can you not simply loop a hose from and to the engine connections so the unit can be removed?

However, from what you describe, it does appear to be both in poor condition and a bit of a bodge job to boot (Ive always said its never the car at fault - its the so-called expert that had it before you).

If you can remove it, can you post a picture - and in the meantime, I'd have a scan on Ebay.

Keep us informed!

Regards,

Stan.

ChrisJW

Post by ChrisJW »

Hi Stan
Thanks for your advice. A short circuit of the heater pipes will be a good temporary solution to enable removal of the heater as I need to replace all the heater pipes in any case. It is not a high priority job as I have more pressing tasks to sort. I had already googled ebay and youtube and apart from hundreds of videos on flushing various designs of heater matrix I have found no reference to Delaney Gallay heaters apart from someone selling an advert for this make, but a different model, cut from an old motoring magazine. so unless someone can come up with relevant documentation or literature this thread can die. If and when I get around to dealing with it I will post my findings. Chris.

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

I found this, might help to identify the model of D-G, but no other use I guess.
Delaney-Gallay-car-heaters.jpg
Otherwise, try "Smiths circular car heater", as it may be similar.

migray
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by migray »

This shows some pictures which might be right https://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/p ... 1ffb4e6078
Attachments
heater2.JPG
heater1.JPG

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

I saw those in google images but I didn't bother to try to open them because they had the dreaded "photobucket" watermark, plus I didn't know if they were relevant.

Interesting bio of Tom Delaney in wikipedia from which
"Delaney took over and greatly expanded his father's business, Delaney Gallay Ltd. They had five factories and employed 2,000 people. They were heat exchange engineers who supplied advanced heating and cooling systems for both aircraft and vehicles. They were the first to introduce car heaters, air-conditioning and seat belts for cars in the UK. Delaney Gallay components flew on Spitfires, Lancasters, Typhoons and many modern civil and military aircraft, including Concorde. The company Gallay still operates, and is based in Wellingborough. It is now part of the G&M Group"

ChrisJW

Post by ChrisJW »

Thanks Brian H & Migray The advert does not show my model but the photographs do. Visible on these are the knobs for opening the doors on the front which are missing on mine but easily made now I know what they look like. Thanks for the Wikipedia reference on history of the company. I never thought of searching there. Current existence makes me wonder whether it is worth approaching them to ascertain whether they might have an original spec. or handbook in their archives. I will try. Chris J.