Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Conquest Oil

Bonzodog

Conquest Oil

Post by Bonzodog »

Yes, I know this has been aired before but that was on the old forum so it is probably worth raising again just so our thoughts can be accessible once more.

From new the specified engine oil for Conquests was SAE30 - what should we be using now?

I would also like to pose the same question iro the Borg Warner automatic gearbox. I understand using the wrong auto fluid can do horrid things to its internals.

Regards, Richard

watkindj
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Conquest Oil

Post by watkindj »

CASTROL CLASSIC XL 30

For pre-1950 veteran, vintage and classic cars

A high quality SAE 30 Monograde engine oil which is also used in most types of manually operated gearboxes fitted to vintage and classic cars. Also specified for pre-selector type gearboxes.

Offers excellent cold temperature starting, and improved oil pressure at high operating temperatures.

and

CASTROL TQF

Specific Non Friction Modified transmission fluid for Automatic Gearboxes, incorporating additives to provide wear, oxidation and corrosion resistance. Specified for Ford and older Borg Warner transmissions. Can be used in motorcycle primary chain case where an SAE20 oil is required and also in piston type damper shock absorbers. Dyed red for identification.
Darren
South Cambridgeshire
XJ Registrar &
LD10 Registrar
LD10 Website Webmaster Incorporating (Worldwide Lanchester LD10 Register)
http://ld10.awardspace.co.uk

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

Actually, chaps, if you look on the filler cap, it specifies 10W/30.....................

Regarding the box, I use Comma TQF in the 014 with no ill effect.
Normal for Norfolk

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

I recently bought some Morris Golden Film 20/50 from Holdens as they are just up the road from me. Perhaps we could have an exchange of opinion on the comparative merits of monogrades and multigrades? Obviously a 10/30 is a multigrade, would that be for all year round use?
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

rovermorris999

Post by rovermorris999 »

There was an excellent article on oil in the DM a few months ago that is worth a read.

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

Indeed, it was an excellent article. Worth looking up again