Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

2002 XJ8 X300 windows waist seals

Petelang
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

2002 XJ8 X300 windows waist seals

Post by Petelang »

Hi Guys.
I know there's not too many postings about the more modern badge engineered Daimlers but here's hoping someone here might have some useful ideas or tackled this problem before.
I have a LWB Daimler V8 X300 series and noted whilst cleaning the car there was quite a bit of "dust" under the "waist seal" at the top of the doors, ( More usually known as the window seal) also the chrome trims seemed to be coming adrift at the very ends. Further investigation revealed, under the chrome strip there is a thin plastic/rubber cover and then below that is aluminium. Most of which had nobly disintegrated to bolster the chrome trim or the steel doors I presume. This alloy strip is in a very bad way all along and I assume its purpose is to stiffen the moulding.
I looked up the parts on SNG Barratt and they are an arm, leg, and best part of another limb to buy, especially as mine are LWB and Chrome trimmed. I also see that Jaguars of later marque's are all plagued with similar issues and clearly Jaguar have invented a gold mine in parts sales.
I'm certainly not paying these prices and it will be unlikely to get secondhand in any better condition so am looking to find an alternative solution. These however seem to be bespoke Jaguar design, someone on Jag forums reckons French made, I can't find a supplier worldwide with anything similar. Do the collective brains think this could be cut out and a thin strip of stainless steel inserted and bonded in place? Could I just cut it out and forget it? Not sure if it's supposed to retain the chrome trim by clipping into the bottom upturn on the trim.
How stupid, to put a bit of thin aluminium right next to a chrome trim? What in God's name were they thinking? Don't Jaguar engineers do basic chemistry at college?
Beggars belief!
Anyhow, any bright ideas welcome.
See pictures attached:
DSC_0004.JPG
DSC_0005.JPG
14623649325841248386201.jpg
Peter Langridge
Cloud Nine Classic Weddings, Nottingham.

Warsash 2

Re: 2002 XJ8 X300 windows waist seals

Post by Warsash 2 »

Hi
You may be able to get a second hand one as a number of these are being broken. When my V8 need any work I use Shaun Merrington near Southampton who has a number of cars for spares. His phone number is 01703 458418. I have found him very reliable. If he has not got one the try one of the spares help lines of breakers who may be able to help.
Regards
Colin

Petelang
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: 2002 XJ8 X300 windows waist seals

Post by Petelang »

My major concern though Colin is that most scrappers will be older than mine and it seems this is a widespread issue.
The design means it's always going to happen again.
I'm thinking I will get some stainless strips made to replace the alloy but it will be a tricky job to cut away the existing without damaging the rubber around it. It needs this strip to retain the chrome outer trim.
I guess I'll have to let you all know how I get on...
Peter
Peter Langridge
Cloud Nine Classic Weddings, Nottingham.