Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Amal Gear change rod roller joint

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Amal Gear change rod roller joint

Post by Fossil »

I'm starting a fresh thread on this topic having recently committed the mortal sin of abusing someone else's thread of a different topic (apologies), and on the Lanchester Forum!!

The above device is however fitted to many Daimlers and Lanchesters because it is the joint at each end of the pre-select gear box gear change pedal rod. The Daimler part number for the Century is 422153. I don't know if the same joint was used on every car with a pre-select box, perhaps that was the case.

I'd like to buy a couple to have on the shelf because some decades ago one let go on a Century I had when I was a student. Then, they could be bought new from Rossleigh or whoever your local Daimler dealer was, but not any more. They do appear to be very long lasting because I've not heard anyone ever refer to one as a cause of breakdown. I've tried John Nash without any luck. I will try Burlen/Amal, although I think its unlikely that they'll stock them.

Any suggestions from anywhere in the UK, or beyond?

Thanks for reading this.

Geoff

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Amal Gear change rod roller joint

Post by Norfolk Lad »

Hope this helps Geoff you can borrow the photo
Attachments
ld10 change pedal.jpg

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

Thank you, not easy to capture on the later cars. It looks much the same as the Conquest type, even size-wise.

Geoff

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

only able to take this photo as it is a chassis i have would have a problem on the car, unless it was on the ramp which i did take some under the car to show gear rod position in 1,2,3,4.and reverse. you are welcome Peter

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

Have a look at the bottom of this page, part nos 613 in both 3/16 and 1/4 sizes:

https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/searc ... trol+joint

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

Simon

Thank you for going to this trouble, but the gear change pedal rod joint is a more substantial affair, since it has to deal with the power of one's left leg often used fairly brutally, depending on how well the gearbox is adjusted. It is not a ball joint, the moving part is cylindrical and allows movement in only one plane. If you look at Peter's photo you can see the round top end of the rotating cylindrical steel portion held in the brass body of the joint that is screwed on to the end of the rod.

Cheers

Geoff

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

Thanks Geoff, I have been out and had a look at the LD10 and I understand the problem better. It isn't a joint I've had to replace - yet - but I can see the difficulty. As it was made by Amal, I've been looking at motorbike control systems but nothing jumps out so far. I shall have to give up the search tonight but I've been looking at sites like this

http://www.midwestcontrol.com/

to see if there's anything potentially suitable.

However, what I think might be the best bet would be to maybe contact Blue Diamond services:

http://blue-diamond-services.co.uk/

because the Riley preselector control system could well be virtually if not exactly the same as on the Daimler and Lanchester. Again, I don't ever remember having to touch these joints on any of the preselector Rileys I had so I don't remember whether spares were available or not but I think Blue Diamond would have them if they were fitted and needed.

If not, I'll keep looking....!

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

Simon

Thank you for your further internet searches and suggestions on this topic, I'll study those two sites in more detail. But to take it further I'll clearly have to remove one of them so that I can establish the dimensions and thread sizes etc. Perhaps it was similar to a joint on a motorcycle kick-start rod or something of that sort in view of Amal's motorcycle connections. I've spoken to Burlen and as I expected got the verbal equivalent of a blank stare. The Amal part number would help, I only have the Daimler p n, I wonder if it is stamped on it anywhere?

In any event I'm not in a "I'll just quickly jack up the Century and take a look" frame of mind because i'm recovering from yet another slipped disc and my first priority is to finish the retrim of the SP250 when I can so that I can get it Mot'd, un-SORNed and back on the road before the sun disappears again from Scottish skies for another year.

Thanks again

Geoff

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

Did look this evening the only thing i can see at present without removing the joint is AMAL, even needed to use a magnifier to read that so no help there.
They are nothing like what is listed the outer is about the size of a pound coin the middle being a bit smaller then a 5 pence. well on the LD10 it is. Peter