Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Conquest Starting Handle storage brackets

HenryC
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Conquest Starting Handle storage brackets

Post by HenryC »

Hello,

I am trying to fit the spring brackets which hold the starting handle inside the engine compartment. The upper seams of the inner wings appear to have been replaced at some time and the mounting points for the spring brackets are no longer there.

Has anyone got, or can you take a photo, of these two brackets in their original position, where the handle lies horizontally along the upper part of the inner wing. I have looked through all photos I have and none of them show the brackets/mounting points clearly. The third bracket with a vertical orientation is still in place lower down on the inner wing.

One blurred photo I have suggests there is a packing spacer behind the frontmost (foremost?) of the two horizontal brackets, is this the case?

I'm not keen on drilling random holes in the inner wing just to store the handle there - I prefer to get them in the right place.

I'd be very grateful for any assistance. Maybe a reply on the forum would be enough or by phone (I can give you the number).
Cheers, Henry Curwen
Registrar for Conquest & Century Saloons (DJ250/1, DJ256/7, DJ260/1)

Conquest (Drop Head) Coupe DJ252

migray
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Conquest Starting Handle storage brackets

Post by migray »

https://i2.wp.com/www.coys.co.uk/wp-con ... .jpg?ssl=1 shows a picture of the engine bay with the heater hose missing. You can just make out the two top clips for the starting handle (left one at the edge of the photo).

HenryC
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by HenryC »

That is very helpful. It shows the spacer block and the correct location above the ledge at the top of the inner wing.

This does show the foremost bracket - they have two clips per bracket. If anyone can help with the position of the rearmost bracket (nearer the wiper motor) that would be great.

Thank you.
Cheers, Henry Curwen

Pendle

Post by Pendle »

Hi Henry,

Here are a couple of pictures from my DJ252. As you can see, the distance between the vertical bracket and the rear horizontal bracket corresponds to dimensions of the starting handle. Hope this helps.
IMG_3320.jpg
IMG_3319.jpg
Chris Young
1954 DJ 250
1954 DJ 252
1957 DJ 254
1952 DB18 Special Sports

HenryC
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by HenryC »

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the photos and thoughts. How sure are you that these are the original positions?

If you look closely at the photo in the post from Migray the foremost bracket is nearer the vertical part of the handle - which is my recollection from my the very original saloon I owned prior to the DJ252. It would give a better weight distribution. It also ties in with other photos I have found (they are too low a resolution to give precise detail).

I have temporarily used the wing mounting bolts to fit the brackets - that definitely looks wrong.
Cheers, Henry Curwen

bakergh

Post by bakergh »

Hi Henry
Photo of my brackets DJ256
Graham
Attachments
20210411_095528 (2).jpg