Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Petrol tank leak

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Petrol tank leak

Post by Db n j »

Wrestled the petrol tank from the Special Sports. My suspicion the tank leaks is confirmed- even the thick tar left in the tank leaks from the passenger side end plate. ( I have found one pin hole, but sure that’s not all.

What to do ? any advice.

I looked at the barker for sale ( H&M auctions) and during restoration pictures show a repair by removing the complete end panel.

Or a new one ? Where from ?

All comments welcome

clevitt

Re: Petrol tank leak

Post by clevitt »

I had intended to just have my tank chemically re-lined using the (American ) re-nu process as part of my car’s restoration, but when removed, I found several perforations in the top panel. I took it to Arrow Radiators in Melksham, who are one of the UK agents for the re-nu process, and they welded in a new panel before re-lining. Total cost was circa £250 from memory. There are a few other agents in the UK , but Melksham was the nearest for me.
Chris

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

My thought is that if it’s £250 to repair and re seal check if the sealant is ethanol proof.
£250 would go a good way to getting a stainless tank fabricated.

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Hi
Years ago I had a pin hole leak from the fuel tank and fixed it with a small self tapping screw, fibre washer then a fibreglass patch.
Has held (fingers crossed) for probably 20 years.
Peter Grant

tpickering

Post by tpickering »

I have recently (two years) ago had the same problem on a 1953 Rolls Royce Silver Wraith I owned and used the POR15 tank sealing kit with great success.
The kit comes with everything you require and I am very happy with the result.

Hope this helps and good luck with your tank

Trevor

clevitt

Post by clevitt »

David,
You could contact Sportscar Metalwork to check out Marcel’s suggestion. They advertise in DM ( see page 33 in February’s) as manufacturers of SP250 fuel tanks.
Chris

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

Thanks for the input.

So far, I can only find 1 pinhole.

I will get a price on a new tank, just to get a comparison.

I already have a tank cleaning and sealing kit, but I need to read carefully about ethanol.
(I used the same on the Empress)

I also can look for a second hand replacement, but not sure if I can be assured of efficacy.

Current thinking is to mig weld the pinhole, on the basis that if the end plate is weak the heat will reveal bigger problems. For security, add a fibreglass layer to both end panels. Test. (All this is minimum cost).

If that works clean and seal.

If it’s too weak, weigh up bigger repair, replacement or stainless.

More later

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by NickDeAth »

When I did my tank I made up a cap with a bicycle valve in it. I capped the other holes in tank and lightly pressurised the tank with a bike pump. It was worth the effort. It revealed a number of minute holes most of them not visible before.

I coated the inside of the tank with a Rustbuster product.

Regards Nick.
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Peter Russell had a new Tank produced for his Daimler 15, could try and find out by whom, and of course , how much ?

Cheers Al