Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

1935 Straight Eight Rear Spring Specification and Chassis

ds8w

1935 Straight Eight Rear Spring Specification and Chassis

Post by ds8w »

My next project on my 1935 Windover limousine is to get her sitting and handling better.

Can anyone help with specs so that I can have my rear springs re-tempered and re-set. After a long prior career as a wedding car she looks rather low and certainly sits down too much with rear passengers.

Any other general advice about chassis matters very welcome.

Front spring settings and caster settings are also on my list.

Just taken part in the Guernset Liberation Parade in her with my friends from Bean Car Club !

Thanks in anticipation,

Richard

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: 1935 Straight Eight Rear Spring Specification and Chassis

Post by Stan Thomas »

Start by ringing Jones Springs in Darlastion in the West Midlands on 0121 568 7575 and ask if they have the spring data to do the job.

They are a reputable company - but still best to find if they (or whoever else you go to) has the spring data first.

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

Hello Richard,

I'm half way through replacing the back springs on a 1947 Rover 12 I have. I did the same job 10 years ago on another identical car and both times I've bought a new pair of springs from Jones. They were £444 for the pair delivered including new bushes both ends. I've had springs re-tempered in the past but quite honestly, they don't retain their set the way new ones do.

I fitted a new pair of back springs 14 years ago to a 2 1/2 Riley I've got and it still sits level at the back. If you have a really good spring man who can reset springs reliably then fair enough, have them reset but the hard work is in getting them out and putting them in, whatever the vehicle. The new ones are well worth the extra expenditure as there is nothing really worse than seeing cars with their noses in the air and the rear end trailing on the ground.

Once the spring has gone out of them they seem to want to go back to the way they were but that's only my opinion. You've got a good car and I'd risk saying that with new springs you'd look at it in 10 or 20 years time and say that the investment was worth it. Jones took about 7 weeks to make them and they're spot on replicas of the originals. As I say, just my opinion!

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

If it's any help, we use Jones for our locomotive and tender springs. We have found them very good.

Neil
Normal for Norfolk

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

I too have heard that re-tempered springs tend to settle out again - but the reality is down to the skill of whoever does the job.

That said, the least desirable methods that can be used (unknowing to you of course!) is to put a greater cold-bend in each leave then re-assemble - which dosen't last five minutes provided the leaves don't break first.

The problem is leaf springs look simple, old fashioned and dirty heavy things - so the less informed treat them in an "agricultural" manner, which cannot be further from the truth - Daimler springs especially.

By co-incidence, I'm just about to remove and check out the springs on my 16/20, although the ride-height of the car is still perfect afer 85 years, so they do not require re-setting or re-tempering etc. - just re-coating each leaf with quality graphite grease and fit new gaiters.

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

Richard,

I visited Jones to get The Dukes springs re-tempered.

If I remember correctly, they had a setting book/file relating to all Daimler and Lanchester Cars. This was give to them by Len Stoller, so may well provide the details you are seeking.

FWIW, I was tempted by new springs, but decided on cost to have retempered. Have to wait and see if its pays off.

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

I was impressed Jones Srings had data for my Lanchester's springs. I was however very disappointed when I discovered the springs wouldn't go back because they had clamped them back together using a fixing which did not have a flush face as per the original. The best they could offer was for me to return them (at my cost) where they would "try" to resolve it. As you can imagine I had it fixed locally instead.

ds8w

Post by ds8w »

Thank you one and all. Jones Springs it is then !
I think I will get a price for new springs with a view to fitting next winter.
I also need some help to build a new front bumper ( also a Jones Springs project ) but I will start a new thread for that.

many thanks, Richard

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

Ref ranalds post, I had exactly the same issue with my springs. They had used large rivets to secure the bands to the springs, but didn't dress them flat. They were less than helpful,

I thought at the time it was just an oversight, but sadly not.

I hear owen springs in Rotherham do good work,