Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

EL24 Steering Box

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: EL24 Steering Box

Post by NickDeAth »

After looking at your pictures, would it be easier to make the shaft out of a suitable size tube even if the I.d. had to finished with your extended drill. I appreciate how difficult it is to keep a deep hole on centre.

Nick
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

tescaparts

Post by tescaparts »

Nick,
yes,that would bei easier,but in this size a tube isn't available.

marchesmark
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by marchesmark »

Please note I've added another picture and some more notes to the original post on this subject. I put it there rather than here so that it is all together.

Mark

HenryC
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by HenryC »

Hello,

I have come across this company who's website suggest that they can rebuild these steering boxes and have the tooling to remake the nuts.

I will probably contact them over the winter with a view to getting my EL steering box rebuilt.

http://www.holman-engineering.co.uk/aut ... eering.php

Has anyone used them or had any experience of their work?
Cheers, Henry Curwen
Registrar for Conquest & Century Saloons (DJ250/1, DJ256/7, DJ260/1)

Conquest (Drop Head) Coupe DJ252

David1

Post by David1 »

I phoned Holman's yesterday and spoke to Jeff the owner, he said that he has the ability to rebuild these Burman-Douglas steering boxes.
He quoted me £900 + Vat, so not cheap, but he said he would want to look at the box first before confirming the price. Mine is suffering from what I would describe as small sawing action, but from what Mark said we should all expect a modicum of play. In true Daimler fashion just like the brakes in the prewar era they went from Marles boxes in 1935 to Burman-Douglas (component list No 25511A) in 36/37, then back to Marles in 1938. I have been in touch with David Beales both personally at Beaulieu and email this year regarding the possibility of him having a spare in his fabled container down the road, but have heard nothing yet.

I also say the Standard club website and wondered if this is a possibility.
http://www.standardmotorclub.org.uk/steering-nuts.html

Any advise would be gratefully accepted
Attachments
Haytor wedding.jpg

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Having just taken a l@@k at the Standard Motor Clubs website, is it not possible for our club to approach the manufacturer those Phosphor Bronze Steering Box Nuts ,to see if it is at all possible to get some re-manufactured for "Our" cars ?? Just a thought ..........................

Cheers Big BAD A'l
Last edited by JT7196 on Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Well Chaps, I have just been in contact with Brian Parkes of the Standard Motor Club, and he will make enquires for me ,as to whether the company that produces the Phosphor Bronze Steering Box Nuts for their club, would be willing to re-manufacture some for our club, he will get in contact with me when he knows more.

Cheers A'l

marchesmark
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by marchesmark »

I'm sure Claudio will comment, but I think the problem was that no one could reproduce exactly the thread used on the Daimler shaft, so that a matching nut could not be manufactured. I did ask him at the time as it is the obvious solution, but his experience had been that a new matching shaft and nut were required.

I do think a bit of play when compared to modern systems is to be expected. But it might not be just in the steering box - a check of the entire steering system should be made, including steering side and cross rods, also kingpins for wear, wheel bearings, tyres for correct pressure etc.

Mark

HenryC
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by HenryC »

Hi all,

There is a firm near me who refurbishes these steering boxes - when I had my Conquest steering box done, I saw boxes of the 4 start bronze nuts.

I asked him about them and he said he can refurbish the Burman boxes for several makes of cars. I will be taking my EL24 box to him over the winter.

The firm is Steering Services http://www.steeringservices.co.uk -Simon Everett

Don't delay though - he is retiring next year and who knows if he will find any one to take over.
Cheers, Henry Curwen
Registrar for Conquest & Century Saloons (DJ250/1, DJ256/7, DJ260/1)

Conquest (Drop Head) Coupe DJ252