Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

db18 empress speaker

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

db18 empress speaker

Post by Db n j »

Guys,

Firstly, thanks to all those who helped with details of the carpets for The Duke.
(the many bits (including the boot pieces) are now at the trimmers - who knows when they will return..)
It was a complex puzzle, as the remains with the car were not original, and certainly not correct.

If anyone else is on the same path and requires details, I may well be able to support.

Now, the latest missing bit - I believed the rear parcel shelf on The Duke was a flat sheet with the speaker underneath. I have seen other cars in pictures where there is a box raised in the centre of the shelf. Amongst the long forgotten bits that came with the car I have two pieces that fit the parcel shelf, which implies that a box was originally present.

Can anyone give me a a pic and/ dims for the box, so that I can make a new one.

Thanks

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: db18 empress speaker

Post by Fossil »

The Dauphin has a central speaker housing on the parcel shelf as you describe, which I recently recovered and fitted a new speaker into. I'll gather the details you need a take a photo.

Cheers

Geoff

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

Thanks geoff, just one more piece of the puzzle,

Btw is the speaker inside the box, or does the unit sit in the boot under the shelf ?

There is a speaker on the duke but it's viable when you open the boot, which may not be original,

Thanks

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

My DB18 Empress just has a centrally mounted speaker but no signs of a box.
I hope it's not a bass box with 1000watt subs

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

The speaker is inside the box on the Dauphin, the box is square and thus designed to take a round speaker as opposed to the oval variety. I think that the idea of cutting a hole in the shelf rather than making a box had maybe not occurred to them. I wondered about putting four speakers in to the Dauphin but thought that would be too unoriginal. Then I find that the KG VI Hooper DB18 drop head in the Arnold Clark collection has a round speaker grille on each side of the rear bench seat! You can find pictures of it via the AC website at the "Cars with Royal connections" section. The most difficult part of the exercise was replacing the screws securing the box to the shelf from below inside the boot. BTW why is it called a parcel shelf? Has anyone ever put a parcel on it?

Cheers

Geoff

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

Tried taking photos in the garage but they haven't come out well. I'll take the car out tomorrow and hope for better quality, the sun may shine! Meanwhile the box is approx 8 x 8 x 2.5 inches and the speaker hole 5 dia, so it will take a 5 or 6 inch speaker. I recovered it and the two shelf pieces with dove grey felt, which was the best match for the leather colour and original material texture that I could find.

Regards

Geoff

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

I've got a crystal set in my sleeve valve.

Bob Frisby

Post by Bob Frisby »

David, The rear speaker in my car (absolutely original) is apparently a 6 in. round speaker, the grille being a smidge smaller. It is pretty much contained within the box. The underside, in the boot, has carpet there, upside down of course. It has a hard bulge , which seems to be the speaker magnet. The "deck" of the box (containing the grille) overhangs the vertical sides a little bit. See me waving my arms? Anyway, if you need more info, just ask.

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

David

Finally some photos :-
Dauphin speaker box.B 001.JPG
Dauphin speaker box.B 002.JPG
Dauphin speaker box.B 004.JPG
Cheers

Geoff

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

Guys, Thanks for the replies..now i am not sure to box or not.

As it happens, the current arrangement with the speaker sticks down into the boot space and looks
a bit odd, so I am inclined to go for a box on the parcel shelf.

Maybe start next weekend ?