Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Seal for Hooper curved windscreen

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Seal for Hooper curved windscreen

Post by Db n j »

For our car, We were told it was se as triumph 2000, but I got a sample anyway. There are lots of variants on a theme, but same principle. ie narrow slot for body, 2 slots for glass, then a Chanel into which the trim is forced to hold it all in place.

I had never replaced a screen, but bains sell a tool for inserting the trim which is very helpful.

If the screen has to come out, remove the trim, sit in the car, and push your feet against the glass, to get one end out of the Chanel. Doesn't take much effort. Compare rubber section, measure and buy

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Seal for Hooper curved windscreen

Post by Fossil »

Marcus

The pictures of the finisher are not very clear; they appear to show a C shaped cross section with a black backing of some sort. I haven't disturbed the finisher or seal on my car until now because it has been refitted at some time in the past and there are traces of silicone seal in various places at the edges of both the seal and the trim. Perhaps it was all removed and refitted to stop water ingress. However I cannot say whether the glass or seal or trim have been replaced or reused, they could be the original items.

To check the shape and fit of the finisher I gently inserted a small screwdriver under its outer edge at one of the corners and managed to pass the screwdriver right underneath the trim and out again on the inside without causing the trim to lift out along a longer distance. The trim is C shaped in cross section and the metal is relatively rigid; the corners must have been shaped very precisely as David said earlier. Fortunately it was easy to return it to the recess in the rubber seal after withdrawing the screwdriver. There is no corrosion of any kind visible anywhere on the finisher and I'm puzzled as to what metal it is made of. It is rigid enough to be steel, but mild steel would undoubtedly have rusted to some extent by now. Is it possible that stainless steel was used in the mid 50s for such trim as this? What other non-corroding metal might have been used? I think it unlikely to be brass or aluminium because the material is too thin to be of such soft metal. I can't say what its thickness is without using a micrometer which would be difficult to do without removing much of the trim from the rubber seal.

Regards

Geoff