Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Modern fuel life

John Hitchins
Site Admin

Modern fuel life

Post by John Hitchins »

I know we discussed fuel before on here before, but is our fuel decaying faster than a couple of years back?

My Daimler DB18 lacks power although ticks over fine. On accelerating it is sluggish, my fuel is over a year old as having moved I have not used much. I just wonder how long modern petrol takes to go stale now days.
Thanks

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Modern fuel life

Post by Sydsmith »

This was discussed at depth on the old forum and the answer it seems is yes, petrol does go off and it only takes about a year to do so.

I run my cars down low on fuel before I lay them up and then go straight for new fuel when I get them out in the spring.

Remember to swap the spare gallon if you carry or keep one, I have found it is fine when mixed with a tank of fuel in a modern car.

I have also noticed that stale fuel smells very odd.

John Hitchins
Site Admin

Re: Modern fuel life

Post by John Hitchins »

Cheers Syd, I know discussed before but with recent changes to the fuel again, I just wondered
if it goes stale even quicker these days as I am sure 10 years back it didn't go off so quickly.