Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Conquest save her

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Conquest save her

Post by Norfolk Lad »

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Conquest save her

Post by New Dexter »

Have I missed something? What the **** is the point of taking what might be a salvageable car, removing everything and then wrecking it? Has this numpty not realised that the car might be worth more as a restored vehicle. The banger racers are part of a species of car owners that really leave me puzzled. I have had a visitor here a month or so ago informing me that the banger idiots are capable of paying up to £1000 for a A60/Morris Oxford etc just to race it at a banger race.
I apologise to any decent numpties who might be offended by this post

Bonzodog

Post by Bonzodog »

I have a friend with an A60 estate on his drive and you wouldn't believe the number of "characters" who he's had knocking on the door asking if it's for sale. Of course they all want to restore it....

As for the Conquest, brace yourself for a bunch of spares appearing on ebay in a few weeks time - all of them at top prices. Just as bad is the character who has broken a pretty good DJ260 for his restoration and is now listing the remains in extravagantly priced chunks (auto box at £500 anyone...?).

JDB

Post by JDB »

I've never been bothered about banger racing one way or the other but if you look at it practically and financially, he's doing the sensible - if not laudable - thing; sell the bits that are worth something and then sell what's left to the most interested body of people, in this case banger racers. Given the time, effort and money required to restore a car like this, you've got to do it for love, not profit.
JB

JDB

Post by JDB »

NB I like the fact the the list of parties not welcome as buyers says "No hot rodders"; looks like even banger racers have their moral limits!

JB
(Personally I have a lot of time for hot rodders and think some of them do some marvelous things, but it still tickled me).

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Not so long ago on the old forum we had a similar situation.

Me laddie bought a Conquest, joined the club then asked loads of questions about the practicality of fitting a Triumph 2000 engine and gearbox, after a long discussion and sensible advice, he scrapped the whole car and sold it in bits on ebay.

Turned out to be a banger racer.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

I'd string the whole Bl....y lot of them up by thief B....ks

cheers A'l