Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Preselector false neutral

terryfrombury

Preselector false neutral

Post by terryfrombury »

Well, there I was out on the road with the Special Sports - trundling along enjoyably with the car out under its own steam for only the third time in at least 45 years. Red traffic light - stop - neutral - green - ooops, nothing.
So when the RAC got me back home I had a good look, and
1. selecting any gear and operating the gear change pedal has no effect - the pedal returns to exactly the same position, apart from in second when it thumps back with a heck of a kick
2. with the top off the box, none of the adjusters come across far enough to contact the bands
3. two of the adjusters are nearer the centre of the box than the others.
As I understand it, I`ve attained the wonderful "false neutral". I`m sure there was something on the old forum about this, but can`t find it. Please can anyone help - either with a reference or with advice on how to deal with this little problem.
Many thanks
Terry

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Preselector false neutral

Post by Norfolk Lad »

A false neutral is usually a high pedal for which you have to push with more force to release , and return to normal gear selection should happen once you have pushed the pedal to the floor.
Second is one of the gears causing the false neutral i would think as it is trying to select 2 gears at the same time, take it you have had no problems until then changing gear.
If selecting second gear causes a high pedal this is the one you need to push the pedal to the floor, which will be more effort then normal that is why it kicks back.
Peter

terryfrombury

Post by terryfrombury »

Thanks, Peter, but unfortunately pushing the gear change pedal back to the floor doesn`t clear things. As you say, it seems to be stuck in the process of selecting two gears.. From the bit of research I`ve managed to do it would appear that this wasn`t an unusual problem, whichis why I`m convinced there was something on the old forum.
Terry

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

Terry,

Adjusting the slector rods should fix it.

Neil

(YES, BACK ON LINE!!!)
Normal for Norfolk

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

There are many references to false neutral on the old forum, here's one:
http://archive.dloc.co.uk/forum/topic.a ... se,neutral

And this is the search page:
false-netral.PNG
Click image to enlarge.

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

This reply is from an armature owner somehow keeping the Consort going.

Well I had this/ similar problem when I was in the early stages of restoration.
Here is what I did and what worked. I tried to run the car ( within my drive way) as you said the car was non-revving and would jerk forward in all positions. The gear change lever was moving visibly so I thought it was working. At last I decided to open out that lever on the gear box. Then I found it was to have a key way to lock it on the shaft and the key way was missing and the gear change lever was moving freely while two gears had got stuck . The spare part book did not show this 'key' as part. I decided to open the gearbox cover fix two nuts on the gear change shaft and operate the gearbox using a spanner. On the first try the stuck gears got released and the problem vanished and car could move normally. A key was fabricated to lock the lever.
Please check if the lever is really changing the gear with the cove open.
When I was at Maidenhead, Bob offered me this lever from an old gearbox, but I found it had knurling and not key system, so did not take it from him. Bob told me if the knurling are worn out the lever can slip even if the check nut is tight.
As per the Chassis number my Consort 1951 is 700th car to be assembled. It is possible the later gear boxes had different fittings.
It is worth eliminating this possibility.
Cheers
Ramanna
found this on old forum so might help this was to help Fuzz who i think has joined this Forum

terryfrombury

Post by terryfrombury »

Thanks John-B for the link. I`ll get reading!
Terry

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

Terry,

Just top ensure it's not the rods out of kilter, select each gear in turn and operate the gearchange pedal. (no need to start the engine for this).

If you get a kick back, move the selector lever up a tad and see if the gear will engage. Move down a tad and repeat.

If it does, then your rods are definitely out of adjustment (or have excess slack in them)

Niel
Normal for Norfolk

terryfrombury

Post by terryfrombury »

Sorry Niel, it`s not the selector rods or the pedal linkage. I`ve taken them both off and have moved the gear selector lever by hand, and have operated the gear change mechanism with a lever bolted directly to the lever on the box. It`s inside the box itself.
Terry

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

b****r.................

Which gear(s) is/are affected?

N.
Normal for Norfolk