Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

DB18 Horn won't turn off!!

Badminton355

Re: DB18 Horn won't turn off!!

Post by Badminton355 »

John Hitchins wrote:On my DB18 years back the insulation was worn at the bottom of the stator tube, I would disconnect there and put all else back after disconnecting and if silence then the fault is in there. It is so quick to do I would start there.
Apologies my ny lack of knowledge , but where would I find the stator tube and what does it look like.

Thanks

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

The tube runs through the middle of the steering column and comes out at the base of the steering box. You may not see the tube itself but if you get under the front of the car, driver's side, and look up you should see the bottom of the steering box and there will be a piece of wiring loom coming out of it. The wiring will show you where the end of the stator tube is and there will be a thin brass nut where the wires emerge. The nut bears onto an olive which is round the stator tube and stops it from going round when the steering wheel turns.

Tubes can be of two types and I'm sorry I don't know of the top of my head whether the DB18 has an adjustable steering column or not because therein lies the difference. If the steering column is fixed, the tube is one piece which goes from the nut you will hopefully see right to a round plate connecting it to the trafficator / horn push unit you see at the wheel.

If the column is adjustable, the stator tube is in two parts. There is a shorter top section which has a series of projections in a ridge about 2 inches long. These fit into a slot in the lower section and thus the steering column can be pulled up and down. As it goes up or down, so does the wiring inside it, at least they did when they were new. Over time, the wiring becomes hard and less pliable and there is a risk of it getting caught and fraying leading to either a short in the trafficators or a short in the horn. If it has been rewired with, say, four single wires on their own or wrapped just in tape, it sometimes isn't long until a wire is caught and the insulation broken.

The stator tubes fail either at the bottom where the olive fits due to overtightening or if they are of the adjustable type, at the slot where the top section fits in. New ones have a small hole drilled at the end of the slot to stop them cracking.

John Hitchins
Site Admin

Post by John Hitchins »

Have you adjusted the steering up and down lately as it stretches old cables?
The stator tube will be in 2 sections and look in area near steering box.
Click below for a picture (not a Daimler but gives idea.)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=stato ... wL7ohxM%3A

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

I've got the wiring diagram scanned, just about the hardest thing to follow though as there's no colours!
e-mail me at
Grahamemmett@yahoo.com
And I'll send it to you
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Badminton355

Post by Badminton355 »

Thanks Simon for the info, I will have a look this weekend, hopefully.

My steering column is fixed.

Graham - Email sent for the wiring diagram.

Thanks all for the help, greatly appreciated.

Paul

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

and let us know what the problem was once fixed!
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

John Hitchins
Site Admin

Post by John Hitchins »

Are you sure you dont have the curved lever between steering wheel and the pre select lever? I have never seen a DB 18 without one, this allows adjustment.
Only out of interest as obviously you have not moved it.

Badminton355

Post by Badminton355 »

John Hitchins wrote:Are you sure you dont have the curved lever between steering wheel and the pre select lever? I have never seen a DB 18 without one, this allows adjustment.
Only out of interest as obviously you have not moved it.
I seem to remember seeing a curved bar around that area, i'm a work at the moment, I will look later. If it does have adjustment I have never used it, as I didn't think it would have it.

Thanks

Badminton355

Post by Badminton355 »

Well chaps, the car seems to fix itself. I got the car out to go for a drive with my boy and thought I would test the connection to the horn, low and behold it did not sound until I secured the connection and pressed the horn.
The steering column is adjustable, something new I have found out about the car, only had it in the family since 1984!!!
Thought I would have a go at fixing the fuel gauge while I had the car out, mangaged to get to the sender unit, cleaned it up still not working right, anyone know where I can get a new one?

Thanks everyone for the advice.

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

Paul

E Mail me and i'll send you my "Fuel Gauge Fixit" instructions!!

Neil
Normal for Norfolk