Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Special Sports worm drive differential manufacturer

Noelex

Special Sports worm drive differential manufacturer

Post by Noelex »

My crown wheel is badly worn and this is a part that is not available commercially. I have a couple of options
1. Arrange for a new 34 tooth bronze crown wheel to be made. It can be done. My question to the forum is has anyone actually done this successfully? There are significant issues involved but it is doable.
2. I believe a db17 may have the same 7:34 ratio in the diff. Does anyone know if this is correct?

I don't want to compromise the restoration with the wrong ratio differential especially after having rerestored the rest at some difficulty so faithfully.

a1peg

Re: Special Sports worm drive differential manufacturer

Post by a1peg »

Hugh,

I think I know where there are some new old stock worm & wheel sets, can you post or PM me a photo and there should be a stock or part number on the periphery of the wheel and then I can check. Also any other car details date of mfg chassis number etc.

Alan Pegler (Special Sports owner)

DLOC Company Secretary

Noelex

Post by Noelex »

My Special Sports is chassis no.59093 body #317-364
Worm has 7/34 4.54

Noelex

Post by Noelex »

Footnote
A worm drive manufacturer here in Sydney Australia is spiral casting and machining a new bronze gear for my special sports that is matched to my pinion