Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

EL24 charging system

HenryC
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: EL24 charging system

Post by HenryC »

I think it does which would be one reason why I chose this battery but I will try to have a look tonight or tomorrow.
Cheers, Henry Curwen
Registrar for Conquest & Century Saloons (DJ250/1, DJ256/7, DJ260/1)

Conquest (Drop Head) Coupe DJ252

marchesmark
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by marchesmark »

Thanks Henry, much appreciated. I didn't get much done at the weekend, bar finally getting the battery fully charged. It s disconnected now, I will see how it tests in a few days.

Mark

marchesmark
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by marchesmark »

OK so I went to the VSCC Prescott bash this weekend, car was fantastic to drive as always, but the charging was up to 10A very quickly, and even on the way back, after the car was cool, it remained high. By the time I got home it was consistently at 11A.

I obtained a new battery this afternoon and fitted, but no change. It's no loss as the old battery was a bit crusty, but I do need to get this sorted. I ran the car with the regulator cover removed, and didn't see any change going from discharge at idle to nearly 15A when at around 2000rpm. Nothing seemd to move, no contacts appeared to click or move. Do we think the regulator might have an issue? Or could it still be the dynamo? I tightened the belts but to no effect.

Un fortunately that's it for the weekend, I won't get another chance to look at the car until Sat. Can anyone advise further?

Mark

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

Mark,

If the battery is nmew and the dynamo is putting out 15a plus, I would be very tempted to have the control box converted to solid state.

No nasty contacts or coils to fail!!

Neil
Normal for Norfolk

marchesmark
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by marchesmark »

Neil,

You read my mind, and I have sent off an email asking about this. The only issue is that I think the car would have to be converted to neg earth, which I have been trying to avoid.

Mark

johnwager

Post by johnwager »

Mark
Positive earth electronic regulators are available, I have one on my V8 saloon.
See here http://dynamoregulators.com/index.php
John

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

Mark,

I think Peter can do either. He'll no doubt tell you!

Neil

ps - didn't realise the EL was + earth. The E20s are - earth!
Normal for Norfolk

marchesmark
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by marchesmark »

Thanks chaps, waiting on an answer now from Peter. Glad to see there is a positive earth solution available. Ideally I would like to send it to Peter and get a new (modern) unit back!!

Mark

HenryC
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by HenryC »

Hi Mark,

Have you resolved your charging problem? I seem to be suffering the same issue! and need to deal with it fairly promptly
Cheers, Henry Curwen
Registrar for Conquest & Century Saloons (DJ250/1, DJ256/7, DJ260/1)

Conquest (Drop Head) Coupe DJ252

marchesmark
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by marchesmark »

Hi Henry,

No, not yet. Fairly sure the regulator will need repair, so will probably get it converted to electronic as recommended above. but simply haven't had the time recently. I think it is about £150 from Peter's company which seems a good investment.

Mark