Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Wing seams

Graham

Wing seams

Post by Graham »

Is there any chance that someone with a conquest can do me some close up pictures of a wing seam please, especially the start and finish. As mine as been completely removed and I have my wings in bare metal state and want to put the seam back in.

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Wing seams

Post by Stan Thomas »

Hi Graham,

I take it you mean the front wings - which were formed by two pressings welded together with a metal "T" bead interposed between the sections - which were very prone to rusting, and I must confess just don't look right just flashed over with filler.

Iif you have the wings stripped to bare metal, you will see the join - so all you need to do given the wings are sound is to carefully hacksaw the top of the old "T" bead off, and fix a "dummy" metal strip over the top of the join. This can be done by soldering, or as I did with my wings many years ago, with Araldite after mig welding along the join - and they are still perfect.

Stan.

Graham

Post by Graham »

Thanks stan.my bead was removed a long time ago and I have cut out the entire middle section and welded it flush. I was hoping to see some pictures so I now how wide the seam is, how high it sits and how it curves at the end near the door end.

swcoulthurst

Post by swcoulthurst »

Hi Graham.

I know this is an old post but found it on search.

How did you go on with finding / repacing the wing bead. I'm actually in the same position now. Stripped to bare metal and looking to refit the . I have a spot welder so was going to spot weld the itens together but same as you looking for dimensions etc. I know the shape but thats about it

Cheers
Stuart

Pendle

Post by Pendle »

Hi Stuart,

I replaced the "T" section on the wings of one of my cars using a steel "I" beam curtain rod, which I cut along the middle to form two "T"'s. From my recollection, the width of the top of my new "T" is about 1/4 inch, which was about the same size as the rusted fragments I removed of the original "T".
Chris Young
1954 DJ 250
1954 DJ 252
1957 DJ 254
1952 DB18 Special Sports