Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

New Drophead Coupe sump

Crossley Stephenson

New Drophead Coupe sump

Post by Crossley Stephenson »

I am restoring a DJ254 NDHC which uses the Conquest Century engine. The sump that I removed from the engine is a two piece unit with a cast ally upper (bolts to the engine) section with the lower detachable part of the sump being made of steel. The steel is very thin and there are some holes that would all need to be dealt with if I was to reuse it. I have a one piece cast ally sump from another Conquest and will need to measure and trial fit but I am thinking this is a better solution. The parts catalogue only shows the one piece sump with a baffle plate.

Why would Daimler use a two piece sump?

Cheers
Michael

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: New Drophead Coupe sump

Post by Fossil »

I don't know when Daimler introduced the Conquest/Century sump with the detachable steel basechamber, I'd never seen one on any of several different cars of various years, but my1954 MY Dauphin has one. I believe that its current engine was a factory reconditioned replacement fitted in the 1970s and so it may be a very late modification. As to the reason, perhaps it was simply to allow easier access to the oil pump for inspection, replacement or attention, or to allow the lowest part of the sump to be easily removed for thorough cleaning.

I contemplated replacing it with a one piece sump because the flange is so close to the exhaust downpipe on the off side, but then remembered that removal of the whole unit is difficult if not impossible without removing the engine because it cannot be lifted high enough to do it in situ.

Regards

Geoff

Crossley Stephenson

Post by Crossley Stephenson »

Thanks Geoff. I have decided to go with the one piece sump because: a) I have one and b) to use the two piece would require remaking the removable section and I have already spent more money than intended on this project. The engine has been completely rebuilt and with an ounce of luck it won't have to come out again in my lifetime. The car is not likely to lead a hard life and will get regular oil changes so I'm comfortable with the decision.

Cheers
Michael

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

I would certainly do the same in your circumstances Michael.

Cheers

Geoff