Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Converting hydro-mechanical to full hydraulic

Roark

Converting hydro-mechanical to full hydraulic

Post by Roark »

I am not sure if this ideal is feasible but has anyone ever considered a conversion or actually undertaken one? I know Conquests and the DE models have such a system but is it impossible to connect the brake pedal to a conventional master cylinder or is the whole system too reliant upon what is, essentially, a mechanical linkage?
Just a thought.....

Bob Frisby

Re: Converting hydro-mechanical to full hydraulic

Post by Bob Frisby »

I suppose anything is possible, but this conversion would not be easy. The master cylinder for the hybrid system moves with the pedal, and develops pressure (for the front brakes) by being pulled (stretched) rather than by being pushed (compressed). Theoretically, you might re-use the existing MC by anchoring it to the chassis, but I'm not sure that it would push out enough "juice" to handle more wheel cylinders. You'd have to get new hydraulic brakes for the rear, of course.

The only mechanical linkage involved is that which links the MC to the rear brakes. As long as this linkage provides resistance to being pulled, the front brakes will work. I can't see that this is "too dependent" on a mechanical linkage. Any braking system is dependent on its components.

The vast majority of the braking power is in the front brakes, and such a conversion would not improve them. I suppose an all-hydraulic system might assure more consistent balance between front and rear, but this would be a very minor and mostly hypothetical improvement in my opinion.

I recently rebuilt the hydraulic portion of the brakes on my DF302 Empress, and they now work great.

Warsash 2

Post by Warsash 2 »

Hi
I am no expert on brakes but on reading this posting I wondered whether using a dual circuit master cylinder would be an answer with one circuit to the front and one for the back. I have no idea how you would alter the wheel brakes.
Just a thought!
Regards
Colin

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

I think that such a plan would be full of uncertainty and many pitfalls. To create hydraulic rear brakes would presumably involve using front brake drums and backplates on the rear axle, but how to retain handbrake actuation? Would there be an increased risk of rear wheel lock up in such a machine, with potentially equal braking effort front and rear? Would narrower Conquest rear drums eliminate such a risk?

What would be the point of the exercise when the standard set up is fairly powerful when set up correctly? If lower pedal effort is required, it is probably feasible to add a vacuum servo to the hydraulic front circuit.

And finally don't forget that the standard hydro-mechanical system has an early form of dual safety built in, again when set up correctly: failure of the hydraulic system leaves the mechanical rear brake intact and vice versa.

Regards

Geoff

Roark

Post by Roark »

Thank you for your contributions gentlemen. I think it would be better to stick with what is fitted. It must have been fitted to lorries as well, Leyland Comet comes to mind and they would have been heavier than the largest of the fifties Daimlers. I managed to find parts for my car by typing in "14" brakes" and it gave me what I wanted.