Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler Sovereign 420, 1966 - rev counter problems

Beat Weibel

Daimler Sovereign 420, 1966 - rev counter problems

Post by Beat Weibel »

Hello everybody

Today I had one of these days where success and failure are so close together. Here is what happened:

I have a Daimler Sovereign 420, 1966, where the rev counter showed about 20% too high revs. Actually not really a problem but annoying and in particular I was not really sure whether it really showed a too high reading or whether my car had the American "shorter" differential.
Anyway I thought I give it a try with a new rev counter and ordered one at David Manners'. The part finally arrived a few days ago after months of waiting. Today I wanted to exchange the rev counters. First everything went smoothly: battery disconneted, counter swapped, battery connected, test drive - All fine: Finally I got the correct reading: ca. 2750 revs at 100 km/h.
However, I forgot to fit the rubber ring for perfect fitting and therefore did the same procedure again. Result: no reading at all. Fitted the old counter again: no reading. Fitted the new one again: no reading. Checked all fuses: all ok. Cleaned all Connections: no reading.

Result of the afternoon: two rev counters, non of them works. Frustration not only with me but also with my family because I missed dinner.

Any suggestions what the problem could be (with the rev counter not the family )?

The only "mistake" I could imagine to have made is that I maybe forgot to disconnect the battery when swapping counters the second or third time because I was in a hurry to get to dinner.

I looking forward to hearing from you.
Beat

Beat Weibel

Re: Daimler Sovereign 420, 1966 - rev counter problems

Post by Beat Weibel »

There is hope:
I found this link on the Internet:
http://www.accutach.com/smiths-tach-cal ... background

I think I just didn't fit the loop of the white wire correctly but lost the metal bracket over the plastic block so that the necessary induction in the transformer of the Tachometer is not caused.

I will look for the bracket tomorrow. If I don't find it, I will try to replace it with a copper strip. At least there is hope.
Best wishes
Beat

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Christopher Storey »

It is also vital to ensure that the tacho case is earthed. It is far more likely than losing the U shaped clip ( which you should not have needed to disturb ) that you have forgotten to attach an earth wire to one of the fixing posts. Thes wires are black with a metal ring to go over the post, and are fixed between the bracket on the post and the knurled nut which secures it . There should also be a green wire which goes to the spade terminal shown in your photograph

Beat Weibel

Post by Beat Weibel »

Hi Christopher and all
Thanks or the advice. Bracket found - bracket fitted - all works well now.
Kind regards
Beat