Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

New Tyres.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

New Tyres.

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, Chaps, just replaced my old set of Dunlop Gold Seal tyres with a set of 475/500x18 Excelsior’s complete with new Inner Tubes and Rim Tapes.
I always believed, that the Dunlop’s were the perverbial Dogs B........ s , well I have to say I was quite wrong!
I used to find that the “Lanch” would invariably “Tramline” on certain road surfaces, and put it down to the car itself, well again, I was quite wrong .
There is a certain section of the road between Yeovil and Ilchester, where the Steering would seem to have a life of its own, having driven on the same stretch of road yesterday , there was absolutely no trace of “Tramlining” at all,
I also used to endure what apppeared to be Propshaft vibration ,at speeds between 45/50 mph, this has also disappeared, so in conclusion, if you are considering changing your tyres for a new set, then I would thoroughly recommend purchasing a set of Excelciors .

Cheers A’l :D :D

Simon Hyslop

Re: New Tyres.

Post by Simon Hyslop »

Glad you've seen the light Al! I've been running Excelsiors on my Rileys for years and they've been excellent value.

Now don't get me wrong, I've been buying Dunlop Blue Response radials for our newer cars and I think they're pretty good but what put me off crossply Dunlops was a set of 4.50 x 17s I bought quite some years ago. I fit my own tyres and these were among the most difficult set to fit I've ever done. Excelsiors have, without fail, gone on nicely and don't need much balancing. Rock hard compounds mean a rock hard ride plus that tramline feeling you've experienced. My only downside to some Excelsior sizes is that they can be a bit narrow in the tread for some sizes but that isn't always a bad thing if you've got to get them in a spare wheel carrier ! Hope you continue to like them for many thousands of miles.

captain bobo

Post by captain bobo »

A couple of years ago I put Excelsiors on my 1937 Daimler 15 - the ride & steering both dramatically improved. Mind you, the old tyres were pretty old, but even so I was very surprised by the level of improvement.
Best wishes, Dave B

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, I guess the real test for these tyres will on my next trip down to Lyme Regis, there’s a long stretch of road that undulates quite badly, and whereas it doesn’t cause any problems in a modern car, it like driving hell on wheels in the Lanch, ‘ can’t wait to see if these new tyres cures that problem !

Cheers A’l :D

buckfield

Post by buckfield »

Hi All, glad somebody else bought some Excelsiors as I bought some 5 years ago and then doubted my decision, they are the old firestone moulds and look good but I just keep getting delayed on my resto to be given the chance to try them. here's to some "good" weather soon. all the best Tony. :)

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

May get a chance to road test those tyres on the way to Lyme Regis at the weekend, if the weather holds out .

Cheers A’l :D

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Chaps, took a trip down to Lyme Regis yesterday ,and I have to say that those new Excelsior tyres seem to have done the trick, with the undulations being smoothed out, and although still not up to "Modern" standards, it's certainly not the "Drive from Hell" as previously stated.!

Cheers A'l :D :D :D

buckfield

Post by buckfield »

Hi Alan, that's good news about the tyres, I've had to stop work on the Lanc for a while, building work etc, hopefully get going later in the year. tony

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Tony, well drove down to Lyme Regis last Sunday, got to the Hunters Lodge junction and was sat in the que, when a fellow motorist informed me the my NSR tyre was flat ! ! Managed to gently manoeuvre to the side and changed the wheel.
Seemed strange ,that I had had no indication of the tyre deflating, so it must have happened whilst stopped! ( Thank goodness !! :o ) .
Anyway, took the wheel and spare tube to my local tyre fitting place , and they confirmed my suspicions that it was a faulty tube, this is the second time that this has happened, so my advice is , always purchase the best quality tubes.
It would seem that the ones that I had supplied with the new tyres were produced Malaya !

Cheers Al :D

buckfield

Post by buckfield »

Hi Alan, I should have waited for michelin tubes to come back into stock from north hants tyres, but the ones I got were india branded? and although I did have some for my jag mk2 and daimler v8 which were made in korea, only 1 leak so far, another point to answer is could you change the tube on the side of the road, as the tools are in the toolkit for that, it would be difficult it not impossible, but that's why we have the AA etc?