Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Introducing myself

djl
Location: Bucureşti (Bucharest), capital of România (Romania)

Re: Introducing myself

Post by djl »

Well, at least you keep working on. I don't think I would dare to do such a lot of work... an allready restrored car is more fitted to me. :lol:
Valves (electronic tubes) are for audio what preselector gearboxes are for cars.

alex_gray255

Post by alex_gray255 »

Any really old car you get for sub-10k will need some work. I took a punt and luckily it does not need too much
doing to it, other than the roof + interior.

I have 3 other projects also in progress at the moment, so this one is easiest to finish.

djl

Post by djl »

But "Lanchester" LD10 can be found restored under the price of 10k? I've seen at 8-9 k.
Since you got to the technical side of these cars, you can alter the rods that are coming from the pedals in order to have gear engage - acceleration - brake?
Valves (electronic tubes) are for audio what preselector gearboxes are for cars.

alex_gray255

Post by alex_gray255 »

Sorry, late reply. I liked the shape of this car basically. :D

The interior has been stripped out and all the rotten wood in the progress of being replaced with marine plyboard.

djl

Post by djl »

The body is made out of metal or wood?

alex_gray255

Post by alex_gray255 »

Both as I found. Plywood, hardwood and steel.

The main body and cabin is steel, although it also has some wood in it.

Plywood is used to support the seating and some of the floor. It has also been used as part of the back of the car.

Hardwood is used to support some of the areas where the steel chassis and body meets. The old plywood was completely rotten and eaten by woodworm which is being replaced with treated marine ply

djl

Post by djl »

Oh.
But: 1) Can you alter the pedal comand: acceleration in the middle, brake on the right;
2) Did this cars had a hand throttle that let you use it as a cruise control or acceleration (for eg when wanting to change down gears to not be forced to press the acceleration pedal and in stad use the hand throttle). :ugeek:

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

We have all managed to learn to drive with the pedals as is the common standard , millions of cars have been built this way as have millions of us learnt and passed a test to drive such cars.
Why you wish to alter the car i have no idea but would be dangerous if driven by others, it would ruin a classic car in its true form and any chance to sell it in the future.
TRACTORS have a brake on the right a clutch on the left and a hand throttle and a selectomatic gearbox was once available.
Please i beg do not ruin a classic car drive it as it was designed to be driven.

djl

Post by djl »

Because for me is the ideal position. Since the gear engae pedal and the acceleration pedal are linked to each other they should be one near other. Some people fitted heating systems on old classic cars that dind't had it, sohey altered an old car, but not very much.
"Daimler" made preselector gearbox cars with the pedal arragement that I want, but they had sleeve valve engines and it's almost impossible to find spare parts for those engines. Putting another engine on that car, that would really alter the originality of the car.
I do not inted to start a forum fighting or to be agressive, but I'm not the kind of person that takes thing for granted and when he inteds to buy something he wants that that thing to be as close to his wishes at can be; if he can modify it to fit closer, it would will do it.

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Just to explain about the hand throttle - no Daimler since the 1930s has had a hand throttle as you describe. The hand throttle is only for keeping the engine revolutions at about 1000 - 1200 while the engine warms up. Once warm you push it closed and the engine ticks over at about 600. You can’t drive using the hand throttle as a cruise control like in a modern car.
If changing down to slow down with a fluid flywheel coupled preselect you don’t need to touch the accelerator pedal, in fact if you are stopping you just stop in any gear using the brakes. If you need to change from top to third while climbing a hill, you will press the accelerator just as you would in any car.
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)