Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

LD10 wiring harness

Vengaburns

LD10 wiring harness

Post by Vengaburns »

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone had attempted making their own wiring harness for the LD10? I know that one is available to buy, but surely this is fairly straight forward and considerably cheaper if done at home? The only thing I'd have to guess at would be the required lengths of each different coloured wire; or am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Keith Ashworth

Re: LD10 wiring harness

Post by Keith Ashworth »

Hi Chris,
I had 2 new harnesses made for both my LD10's.
One is Briggs, and one is Barker.
The readily available wiring diagram is the one for the Briggs, which has some subtle differences.
Which one is yours?
Cheers
Keith

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

I'm sure it is cheaper to make your own. You don't need to cover labour costs,overheads or profit. You would struggle to braid the cables as per the original but if you don't mind that buy some rolls of cable and have a go.
I'm currently having a loom made for my DB18 Empress. Interestingly the original loom didn't have a cable big enough for the rear cigar lighter. The new loom will.

Vengaburns

Post by Vengaburns »

Keith Ashworth wrote:Hi Chris,
I had 2 new harnesses made for both my LD10's.
Which one is yours?
Cheers
Keith
Hi Keith,
I've got a 1951 Barker.
The original wiring in the engine bay was an absolute mess, so although it's in one of the many bits in bags from "Lanky" (original I know) for safe keeping, I doubt it's worth ever looking at it again.
What I've taken out seems to be one mass of cables, so I'd decided I was going to break the harness down into plug and play sections. I've never looked in detail at harnesses before so I don't know if this is standard, but I thought it'd help make the process more straightforward. Also there's plenty of space to conceal the connections.

A bit on a tangent perhaps, but on an electrical subject; I'm looking to install central locking (hear me out). locks were never installed on my car, so I'd rather keep it that way. Has anyone else installed other modern touches?

watkindj
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by watkindj »

Hi Chris

The Barker Cable Layout is as per diagram
wiring layout LD10.jpg
can provide wiring diagram if required
Darren
South Cambridgeshire
XJ Registrar &
LD10 Registrar
LD10 Website Webmaster Incorporating (Worldwide Lanchester LD10 Register)
http://ld10.awardspace.co.uk

Vengaburns

Post by Vengaburns »

watkindj wrote:Hi Chris

The Barker Cable Layout is as per diagram
wiring layout LD10.jpg
can provide wiring diagram if required
Yes please! Thank you

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

There are four "if's" about your idea.

If you have loads of time and patience, if you have the old loom, if you have the space and if you don't mind tape instead of braid it is not that difficult to construct a loom.

It takes loads of time and planning but it can be done at home.

You need a very large board, plywood will do to lay the cables out round posts in the positions required, so it needs to be big enough for the full size of the loom, though the lighting cables can be coiled up which limits the length required.

You either need the old loom no matter how tatty as long as it is complete and still has some shape, to calculate the correct cable sizes and lengths and the layout, or you need that information, an ordinary wiring diagram will not do that job.

You are going too a lot of effort so above all don't scrimp on cable quality and size and buy the best quality fittings and cable wrapping tape you can find. You don't want to end up with a poor quality finished item after all that effort.

Good luck with your project.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, Chap's, well I decided to purchase mine from AUTOSPARKS in Hull, I sent them my old loom complete with an enlarged Wiring diagram, complete with dimenensions for any additional requirements and instruction to re-fit the original Armoured Cable.
I have to say, that when the new loom returned,I was absolutely delighted with it, they even took the trouble to Braid it with the correct colour of Braid..
So all in all, I would recommend having one made proffesionally.

Cheers A'l.

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

Autosparks are now in Sandiacre, Nottingham. They made my Consort loom 20+ years ago and they are now making one for the Empress.
They've quoted 12 weeks on the new loom as it is the only DB18 Empress loom they will have made.
Last edited by Marcel Renshaw on Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

watkindj
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by watkindj »

Marcel Renshaw wrote:Autosparks are now in Stapleford, Nottingham. They made my Consort loom 20+ years ago and they are now making one for the Empress.
They've quoted 12 weeks on the new loom as it is the only DB18 Empress loom they will have made.
Are you sure ? as they made one for my DB18 Empress about three years ago
Darren
South Cambridgeshire
XJ Registrar &
LD10 Registrar
LD10 Website Webmaster Incorporating (Worldwide Lanchester LD10 Register)
http://ld10.awardspace.co.uk