Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Lanchester Dauphin

Bonzodog

Lanchester Dauphin

Post by Bonzodog »

My understanding is that two Lanchester Dauphins were constructed (one later Daimlerised) but looking through "Lost Causes of Motoring" by Lord Montagu I see the claim that there were about ten made with the last being fitted with the 3.5 litre Regency engine. I imagine that his Lordship is mistaken but can anyone suggest what he might have been thinking of? Also, am I right in thinking the chassis designation for the Dauphin was LJ252?

Bonzodog

Re: Lanchester Dauphin

Post by Bonzodog »

One other question ... I know one car was Daimlerised with a Conquest type grille but has the other one remained as a Lanchester?

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Hi Richard,

Given the numbers suggested I think His Lordship was confusing the Dauphin with the Empress, or at least lumping all the Hooper bodied Empress style Daimlers into one category.

There were only a smallish number of the last lot of Empresses made with the larger six cylinder engine, and then of course six or so DK 400 limousines and that Regina.

JohnRidley

Post by JohnRidley »

There were just 3 larger 2-door Empresses bodies built (Daimlers often built bodies in 3's to reduce costs) - 2 on the 3L chassis. Both still exist, one here with me, the other in Australia. JohnR

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

Richard

In total Daimler and Hooper created six further cars with Empress style bodies in addition to the two original LJ252 Lanchester Dauphins. These six were constructed on the DJ 256 MkI chassis and so had the benefit of the full 100bhp Century engine, whereas the two LJ252s are said to have had an earlier version of the engine producing 92bhp. The DJ256 cars also had the wider Century brake drums, but I don't know whether the two Lanchesters had the narrower Conquest type drums or not. The two LJ cars had a Hooper wooden dash with the Conquest instrument arrangement, while The DJ cars were similar but with the Century instrument arrangement. They featured early electric door windows. and have all aluminium bodywork over an ash and aluminium frame, but with Conquest steel inner wings, floor panels and modified bulkhead.

The six DJ256 cars did not have the recessed Hooper head and auxiliary lamp arrangement outboard on the front wings with Perspex covers; instead they had more typical individual headlamps, one on either side of the grille, with twin auxiliary lamps mounted on stout pedestals bolted to the chassis through the front apron. Three of the DJ256 cars received the Hooper Dauphin two door design body seating four with individual tip-up rear seats. The other three received a four door design of similar proportions seating five but with a higher roof line and deeper windows.

As to survivors, both LJ cars still exist, the original Lanchester complete with its splendid and unique radiator grille, but curiously a bench rear seat which seats three which was apparently fitted at the insistence of its original owner. The Lanchester is in San Diego where it was fortuitously found in a scapyard some years ago by its current owner and completely restored, and the second Daimler converted car in England. Of the DJ256 cars one of each of the two styles are known and in the ownership of UK DLOC members, while another one of each style may still exist but are not in confirmed ownership. One of these was the first of the three four door cars; it was a Royal stock car for a time and was then auctioned in London in the 1980s, and has since not been heard of. One of the three two door cars was sold via ebay to someone in Eastern Europe in 2012 requiring complete restoration, and has not been heard of since.

I am the fortunate owner of the first of the three DJ256 two door cars, delivered to Hooper in June 1954, and first registered in Edinburgh in May 1955.

Let me know if there is anything else you wish to know about them.

Cheers

Geoff
Dauphin.06.16 035.JPG
Dauphin.06.16 016.JPG

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

The last time I saw one of the 4 door DJ Empresses was at Belvoir Castle International some years back. I was in the LD so it must have been!

It was in "reasonable" (Needed a respray!) condition and the owner had just purchased it and driven it up from the Oxford area.

It was then finished in a light grey with I think light blue interior.

The owner had trouble with the door locks locking him out, a problem with which I was able to assist!

It was also only running on 5 cylinders. Must have taken a lot of fuel to get him there..........................

Neil
Normal for Norfolk