Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Steering box oil seal replacement

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Steering box oil seal replacement

Post by NickDeAth »

A master spline is one where one "groove" is missed out giving a double width spline on the shaft. The drop arm would be machined with a double width groove in the required (correct) position. This double width spline is called the master and the drop arm can therefore only go on in one position.

Although I don't know the cars concerned specifically let's go back to basics. Re-fit the steering box, count how many turns the steering wheel goes from lock to lock, set the steering wheel at the half way position as near as you can. Set the road wheels in the straight ahead position and loosely re-fit the drop arm. Turn the steering wheel and check what angles the road wheels are on full lock each way. If the angles are different adjust the drop arm accordingly to make the angles the same.

Hope this helps.

Nick
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

Hi, Just following up on Steve’s comments in regard to finding the correct location of the drop arm. Would it not be better to do the tests with the car on blocks. With the drop arm removed find the central point of the steering wheel’s rotation. Mark it in relation to the dashboard or windscreen. Test fit the drop arm until the steering wheel turns an equal distance in both directions. Good luck, Ranald
Oops!! I’ve just realised the previous post by Nick says much the same. I didn’t realise the posts had reached the end of a page and I failed to look at the next page of postings.

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by NickDeAth »

I think Steve and I were typing at the same time!

Nick
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"