Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Steering box oil seal replacement

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Steering box oil seal replacement

Post by ranald »

While i'm doing other jobs on my car and access is reasonably good, i'd like to see if I can replace the oil seal on the steering box. According to the parts book, there is a 'Felt Washer for Rocker Shaft Bush' and 'Retaining Disc for Felt Washer'. I attach a photo showing the location of the retaining disc. I think the next thing to do is remove the rocker shaft nut and steering drop arm. Once that is done, I guess I have to remove the retaining disc - but it is not obvious to me how to do this. Can anyone help describe the process? Thanks.
54 steering.JPG

qantasqf1

Re: Steering box oil seal replacement

Post by qantasqf1 »

Having done the hard bit, namely removing the rocker shaft I'd have thought it best to next remove the steering box cover plate and push out the rocker arm from the steering box, thus exposing the felt seal and its retainer. You could then tap out the retainer with a brass drift. Having gone that far I'd also check for bush and rocker shaft wear.

Steve

HenryC
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by HenryC »

Before you you remove the drop arm, make sure you mark it and the rocker shaft so that you can put it back in the same position. I have just had my box on the Conquest repaired and there is no master spline
Cheers, Henry Curwen
Registrar for Conquest & Century Saloons (DJ250/1, DJ256/7, DJ260/1)

Conquest (Drop Head) Coupe DJ252

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

Steve, When you say "when you have done the hard bit, namely removing the rocker shaft" can you give me a bit more information. Why is it hard? I don't want to tackle this until I have a good understanding. Also, when you refer to the cover plate, is this the 'end cover plate' or the side cover plate'? I appreciate your help.

qantasqf1

Post by qantasqf1 »

Ranald, Sorry, Ranald, I should have written 'when you have done the hard bit, namely removing the drop arm' not the rocker shaft.
Part 1: Once you've removed the split pin and undone the castellated nut you'll need a puller to withdraw the drop arm from the shaft because it's on a tapered spline and it's a tight fit. As Henry said you should to mark the position of the arm relative to the shaft because it can go on in any position, but there's only one correct one. (Sometimes sympathetic manufacturers provide a master spline so it's foolproof, but not in your case if Henry is correct.)

Part 2: I was referring to the side cover plate to remove the rocker arm - the end cover plate doesn't need to be disturbed.

Steve

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

Thanks Steve for all that inf.

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

I've at last removed the drop arm ( a friend fabricated a puller). I intend to replace the felt seal with lip seal. Does anyone know if the rocker shaft bush for these Bishops Gear steering boxes are available? Looking on the internet I found Sports + Vintage Motors advertising reconditioning and parts but I discovered they aren't doing them any more and do not have bushes.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Ranald , I have sent you a message re the Oil Seal .
For those of you who are also contemplating modifying your 15/18 Steering Box Oil Seal, I have managed to locate one to dimensions as supplied by Ranald

Ins/ Dia 25.4mm
O/S Dia. 38.1mm
Depth 4.762mm

Seal Pt No OSI/1001-5018-R23

www.premierpowerproducts.co.uk

Tel No 01935-432412

I can personally recommend this company , having used them many times. A'l :D

Best wishes A'l :D :D

sp250boy

Post by sp250boy »

Help needed...

I have removed steering drop arm from the steering box to fit a lip seal.

A bit of a school error but I didn't mark up the steering drop arm against the spline position, when I removed it.

Some questions:

1) What is ' a master spline.
2) What are the consequences for fitting the drop arm back in the wrong spline position.

Any information gratefully rec'd
It is a Lanchester

qantasqf1

Post by qantasqf1 »

The master spline is a much wider spline than the rest so the drop arm will only fit in one position, but if there isn’t a master spline the drop arm will fit in any position. However, this will render the steering wheel being in an odd position when steering straight ahead and you will also find the steering box will probably come up against its internal stop before achieving full left or full right lock of the road wheels. In that case the best cure is trial and error by altering the position of the drop arm one spline at a time. Don’t tighten the castellated nut up tightly each time; just nip it up so it can be detached easily. You only need to drive the car a few yards on a level surface to check it.
Steve