Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Brake shoes

Rollmop22

Brake shoes

Post by Rollmop22 »

Hi,
Has anyone got any good contacts for replacement brake linings for my LD10? Saw some on eBay but baulked at £120 plus postage for a full set front and rear. I just bought a set of front pads and rear shoes for my Herald for £36 the lot.
I know safety means I need good brakes but I am also tight😃😃
Roger
1951 Lanchester LD10 - rolling restoration
1971 Triumph Herald Convertible - nearly concourse.
'Failure is not an option' - in my case it is usually a feature.

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Brake shoes

Post by New Dexter »

Why not use a company such as Villiers Services. 01384 265797 or Auto and Industrial 01462 834778?

Rollmop22

Post by Rollmop22 »

Thanks for the info. I will call Villiers tomorrow as they are sort of local to me.
Roger

Petelang
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Petelang »

Auto Industrial Friction at Bedford are very good and do woven lining material. Don't put aggressive modern lining material on as it will make a lot of dust and Wear your drums away.
I learned the hard way!
They also can arrange collect and return service and offer fast turnaround.
Peter
Peter Langridge
Cloud Nine Classic Weddings, Nottingham.

Bowedw

Post by Bowedw »

Interesting post as I do not know what my car has been relined with, I only know that it takes a strong leg to stop the vehicle, so would welcome information on how you get on and cost if possible.

Rollmop22

Post by Rollmop22 »

At last I got round to inspecting all the brake shoes and only the fronts needed relining. Auto & Industrial were very helpful and recommended woven shoes as these had good stopping power for cable brakes. The material is fairly soft in comparison with modern linings so the wear rate is faster but if you are only anticipating doing 500 miles a year wear rate is a minor detail. Cost will be around £11.50 per shoe and £6.50 shipping cost.
I can't do a report on the stopping power yet as the car will not be on the road for sometime yet.

Regards
Roger
Roger

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by NickDeAth »

Well that price is better than past parts. I had the rear shoes done for my Consort last year and they came to double that with the carriage.

Nick.
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"