Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

fuel starvation?

1949startinghandle

fuel starvation?

Post by 1949startinghandle »

I fix one thing, another goes wrong. Having replaced the fuel pump diaphragm, valves, new fuel filter , the fuel starvation struck again. Does anyone have any ideas?

Pendle

Re: fuel starvation?

Post by Pendle »

Hi Keith,

Blocked fuel lines. I had blocked lines upstream of the reserve valve on my DJ 254 when I was initially trying to get the car going after I acquired it (it hadn't been driven much for a very long time). A little bit of fuel was getting through - enough to start the car and drive it a bit, but then fuel starvation would set in. I ultimately replaced the lines upstream of the reserve valve. To diagnose, disconnect the lines at the reserve valve and see how much gravity-induced flow you have there. You could try cleanming lines with a wire or compressed air.
Chris Young
1954 DJ 250
1954 DJ 252
1957 DJ 254
1952 DB18 Special Sports

1949startinghandle

My reserve has been bypassed I think, previous owner had too much trouble so there is now no reserve. The fuel tank has been renovated so I will try to blow or pass a wire or something. It ran OK for nearly a year, then this! especially with a recon pump as well. Thanks.

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

Could be a rubber hose if fitted a collapsed pipe restricting the flow.

1949startinghandle

I have now run a new rubber pipe from tank to pump. Fuel is flowing but now - the engine won't start! Try clean plugs and try again tomorrow.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, Keith, check that the breather hole in the fuel cap, of if fitted the breather pipe is not blocked, as this will certainly result in fuel starvation, I had to learn the hard way, having fitted a nice new cork gasket to my fuel cap some years ago !!

Cheers A'l :D :D :D

1949startinghandle

actually I can't see a specific actual air vent! I could use the defunct pipe for the reserve I suppose, I want to avoid a petrol smell though .

1949startinghandle

now , this is where it gets good! I even put in a breather! It would NOT start so I checked the ignition - nothing! no spark, this is an electronic one fitted a week ago. So now I am converting back to points and condenser.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, Keith, the Petrol Cap on my Lanchester has quite a large Cork Gasket, the mistake that I made was to omit cutting Venting slots in the centre, thus very effectively creating a vacuum in the fuel line,
Took me a long time to find this self inflicted misdemeanour!!!!! :D :D

Cheers A'l :D :D :D