Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

yet more troubles with 14 LD200

1949startinghandle

yet more troubles with 14 LD200

Post by 1949startinghandle »

Now the car will not start at all! It was running well, then abit of coughing, then nothing. Looked like a blocked fuel line, so I replaced the line and fitted a vent . Nothing, so I replaced the new electronic ignition and put back the pints, plus a new coil and new condenser. Still nothing , new plugs and so on. any ideas? does anyone have a good diagram of how to wire the distributor? Could be a mistake there.

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: yet more troubles with 14 LD200

Post by theoldman »

Time to get back to basics, Keith.

1. Check fuel pump is working. Remove the float bowl and empty it.Check all the jets are clear and the accelerator pump works Put it back on and then use the manual lever on the pump to ensure it fills the bowl.
All OK? Then it must be electrical.
1. With the ignition on, ensure you have 12 volts from the "SW" terminal on the coil to earth. OK? No? Take a direct feed from the A1 terminal of the control box to the SW terminal. OK? You have a wiring fault between ignition switch and coil.

2. Check you have a spark at the points. With the ignition on, separate the points with a small screwdriver. There should be a spark. OK? then it's the high tension circuit. No@ check how the points are fitted. Make sure they are earthed from the baseplate. Ensure the condenser is OK (fit one known to work) Make sure the LT wire is making good contact with the heel of the points.

3. Check High tension. The the coil HT lead from the dizzy cap. With the ignition on, hold it 1/4 inch from the block and flash the pints. There should be a BIG spark.

4. Turn the engine over and ensure the dizzy shaft is actually revolving. No? broken skew gear or broken timing chain.

If all this seems OK, check the timing.

If that's OK, there's not an awful lot left. You could do a compression check to ensure you don't have blown head gasket.

What have I forgotten, chaps?
Normal for Norfolk

Petelang
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Petelang »

Sticking needle in the float chamber...
Peter Langridge
Cloud Nine Classic Weddings, Nottingham.

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

That's a pretty comprehensive check list :) . Is the choke (cold start) mechanism working?
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

1949startinghandle

everything appears to be OK. I think there is some sort of coincidence going on, first, it was fuel starvation, that has been sorted. Next I had all the ignition apart. I thought it was impossible to put the distributor 180 out? the slot is offset. It is behaving like the ignition is way out. I will have to do a timing exercise from the beginning.

1949startinghandle

I think it is timing . How it got "untimed" I have no idea. I see the only way to get it right is take the valve cover off and get the TDC from that. But now I am going away for 2 weeks . I actually got some backfires and bangs so the sparks and fuel are there.

Graham

Post by Graham »

Maybe you altered the timing when you was adjusting the chain. Is this possible?

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

You could check for compression pressure with number one spark plug removed to avoid removing the cover but with only four bolts to undo, removing the cover is only a ten minute job to check the valves.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Petelang
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Petelang »

Timing rarely jumps a sprocket. I should look more closely at the points, and I mean examine them very closely. Is there any burning? Is there any white deposit on them? This could indicate a condenser problem which can give exactly the symptoms you first described. I had this problem on my Daimler Fifteen. It was running perfect then, suddenly coughing stuttering, dying completely, would then restart and run at idle but as soon as you pulled away it was all over. I got out, flicked the points a few times just flicking against the spring, then it was OK for a mile then started again. The points were white and looked like a powder on them. I cleaned them put back, OK again for a while.
I then went mad, bought new coil, made new leads, fitted new plugs, new set of points and it still ran like a dog.
Put in a brand new quality condenser from The Distributor Doctor and perfect harmony was again restored.
Expensive lesson!
There are so many really rubbish condensers about nowadays.
Peter
Peter Langridge
Cloud Nine Classic Weddings, Nottingham.

1949startinghandle

I have been away . Still won't start! it had electronic when it stopped, now has the old points back. I can now only think the timing is not getting set right. It half started this morning then banged and popped a lot so there is a spark and gasoline as well.