Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

yet more troubles with 14 LD200

1949startinghandle

Re: yet more troubles with 14 LD200

Post by 1949startinghandle »

does anyone know where I can get a nice engine? no gearbox needed

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

Oh dear - I take it you've found the problem and it's serious.......................
Normal for Norfolk

1949startinghandle

no, I have no idea at all except it could be timing .

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

Think you may find it hard to find a engine would be far easier to check the crank and camshaft timing, if you get a pair of valves on the rock up or down a piston will be at top dead centre. Check the distributor timing to make sure it is on the right stroke , as it did run once must be someone willing to help.
Keith its to soon to give up sure you will get it sorted yes it is being a pain but joy will follow we hope.

migray
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by migray »

I wonder if it could be wear on the distributor drive gear, the phosphor bronze spiral gear which also drives the oil pump. I know I had to replace mine as it was getting rather sharp and I have heard of people having the gear completely strip. Just a thought.

Mike

1949startinghandle

actually I was serious - I am looking for another engine if anyone has one for sale.

andywen8156

Post by andywen8156 »

Hi I have the same problems as you had..... tried everything I thought still popping and banging did you find out what the problem was?

triddell

Post by triddell »

I have an LD10 so different of course, but I had the same problem after I had put a new head gasket on, and it took me ages and a lot of other investigations before I realised that I'd put the leads back in the wrong firing order. Felt very silly but relieved when I finally worked it out.
Tom

andywen8156

Post by andywen8156 »

I wish it was the plug leads in the wrong order but no such luck.... what I found yesterday was the arm in the distributor is sticky well not returning full when turned... The weights in the distrbutor have enlonged holes no other wear I can find. time to give up I think! :(

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

Are we talking of the arm that is connected to the advance and retard is this not spring loaded , trouble is now it is 2 topics i think you stated once the advance /retard was fully adjusted one end.
Possible it may need a distributor rebuild but should run better then you are telling us even if worn.

The other possible is the condenser has a problem which has been a regular failure in resent years as are very often poor quality,was the car running ok when you first bought it as the distributor will not have worn in a short period of time but a condenser will just give up.