Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Pre-Selector Problem

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Pre-Selector Problem

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, I had exactly the same problem with my LA11 Gearbox, hence the need for a complete rebuild
Top picture showing broken Selector
LanchGbox3.JPG
This is what it should look like
LanchGbox2.JPG

Cheers A'l :D :D :D

Ps, I should also add, that I did have a problem initially with "Slipping " in Reverse,
Attachments
Lanch Gbox.JPG

StuartBAndrews

Post by StuartBAndrews »

Thanks Al
The fault looks similar.
I have spoken the G W Autos and they were familiar with the fault... "It may be that the reverse link pin has broken."
They think it may be possible to repair, but if not it would mean the gearbox would have to have an overhaul!
The basic cost of which is.... £3000 plus VAT! :cry:
I will remove the gearbox at some stage... but have another project nearing completion that is taking up my time at the moment.
Once it is out of the car I might try to do the repair myself..... Does anyone know if there is any better information about the construction of the gearbox than the Wilson Gearbox Owners Booklet?
Regards
Stuart

watkindj
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by watkindj »

there is a few things out there

this for one Maintenance Manual
Untitled.png
this is the reverse band in question showing the link you mention

and this is DB18 but I think the principle is the same DB18 Running Gear
Darren
South Cambridgeshire
XJ Registrar &
LD10 Registrar
LD10 Website Webmaster Incorporating (Worldwide Lanchester LD10 Register)
http://ld10.awardspace.co.uk

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, yes, that's about what it cost me to have mine done, the good thing is, that I should not have to worry about it again in my lifetime !!

Cheers A'l

captain bobo

Post by captain bobo »

I have two Wilson Preselector Gearbox manuals in pdf format that I can send you if you are interested: 1. Daimler gearbox overview, and 2. Daimler gearbox dismantling & reassembling. Very informative with good pictures & diagrams.

PM me if you're interested.
Best wishes, Dave B

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

This site

http://www.vorwahlgetriebe.de/en/trenne ... riley.html

may be of use. I had hoped to get round to buying their book but so far haven't. It might be this year's Christmas present !!

watkindj
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by watkindj »

Simon Hyslop wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:25 pm This site

http://www.vorwahlgetriebe.de/en/trenne ... riley.html

may be of use. I had hoped to get round to buying their book but so far haven't. It might be this year's Christmas present !!
It's an excellent book am waiting for his new one !!
Darren
South Cambridgeshire
XJ Registrar &
LD10 Registrar
LD10 Website Webmaster Incorporating (Worldwide Lanchester LD10 Register)
http://ld10.awardspace.co.uk

qantasqf1

Post by qantasqf1 »

Just a word of warning here. Although I compiled the DB18 running gear assembly article I didn't include assembly of the brake gear because for the DB18 it's dead easy. As far as your reverse brake band system is concerned, however, the arrangement is slightly more complicated because band actuation is in the opposite direction to the forward gears' and involves a rather convoluted linkage. Nonetheless, I don't think yours would be difficult to assemble, but the illustration of the brake arrangement in an earlier post is not applicable. FWIW your reverse band actuation arrangement is the same as the Daimler 15 and definitely superior to the DB18! As a retiree and with nothing better to do I sometimes wonder why our sponsor, in simplifying the design compromised it. Of all the gears reverse torque is the highest and therefore reverse gear is the most prone to slippage.

Steve

StuartBAndrews

Post by StuartBAndrews »

I thought I share my progress with this....
I have finally got around to removing the gearbox and started to strip it down to see if there was an obvious failure.
I removed the top cover, the reverse adjuster mechanism, the main spring and the selector cam and fingers.
With greater visibility it became obvious that the reverse band had become “unhooked” from the fixed arm.
Without the spring pressure it was relatively easy to relocate the reverse band and tighten it up with the adjuster mechanism.
I refitted the selector cam and main spring and went through the adjustment process of “pumping” the selector lever until there was no further movement in each of the adjuster nuts.
I can now select each gear and it appears to be working as it should.
I am in the process of returning the gearbox to the car so do not know if it works in anger.
Whilst I am fairly confident that I has corrected the fault, I am less sure why it occurred in the first place.
The only reason I can think of is that the adjustment mechanism had not been operating and there was sufficient slack to enable the band to slip out of its hook.
Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Fingers crossed.
Best regards
Stuart

DPC159

Post by DPC159 »

Hi chaps,
I enclose a couple of pictures about my pre-selector (LA 10/11).
The fourth gear doesn't engage.
It seems that the spring on the top is lost, but I don't think this is the true issue.
Any suggestion is very appreciated.
Thank you
Adone
Attachments
IMG-20221103-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20221103-WA0008.jpg