Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

LA10 Radiator

chrisjb

LA10 Radiator

Post by chrisjb »

Working on the brakes I was jacking the car up and down like a yoyo. I cracked the radiator, bottom centre of the core. Sad as it was virtually new. I have been advised to slacken the fastenings to give it a bit of movement which sounds reasonable but does anyone else have any ideas please? Does the radiator contribute to the stiffness up front?
Chrisb

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: LA10 Radiator

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, not sure how you managed to crack the Radiator jacking up the car. I always jack under the Front Axle , anyway, no the Radiator definitely does not contribute to the strength of the Chassis, I can only presume that you were jacking under the Wing / Radiator Support Chanel ,these can and do rust, so presumably this section is now bent?

Cheers A'l

chrisjb

Post by chrisjb »

Hi
I only jacked up on the front axle. Jacked one side and chocked, and then the other side. Perhaps I should have jacked up in the centre and then chocked both sides thus not twisting things. I have never fancied the idea of jacking up on a dif housing either thinking that you might put strain where it wasn't intended. On my Dart that is where they told you to jack.
Chris

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

I appreciate that this is rather late in view of what has happened but on my 10, I nearly always aim to jack it under the jacking lugs at the ends of the front axle. Once up, axle stands can go under the chassis further back, in the vicinity of the back of the front wheels.
At the rear of the car I jack under where the springs join the axle and if necessary axle stands can go under the axle case on either side of the differential casing but not under the casing itself.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Chaps, I always jack the front of my Eleven in the centre of the front Axle ,and place an Axle stand at either end, and under the Diff at the rear ,then placing an Axle stand under either side of the chassis.
I suspect that the Cross Brace on the car in question may have a badly corroded Cross Brace thus allowing the Chassis to twist,and this may be the reason the Radiator became damaged.
I was recently given one of these Cross Braces for spares, but on examination found that it would be unusable due to severe corrosion,so perhaps the one mentioned above, should be removed and closely inspected!!!

Cheers A'l :D :D