Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Re-lining brake shoes

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re-lining brake shoes

Post by ranald »

Hello, Can anyone recommend somewhere I can get my car's brake shoes re-lined. Thanks.

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Re-lining brake shoes

Post by NickDeAth »

I had mine done at Past Parts. Not cheap when you add in the carriage as well but a good service.

Nick
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Relatively speaking it is not that difficult to fit your own brake linings to good shoes, it involves removing the old shoes and rivets cleaning the backing and fitting the new linings with the brass or copper rivets that are supplied with the kits.

I have done several and the main thing is to take your time and get someone to help with what is a three handed job, I used a metal post clamped in a sturdy vice, make sure the post, which can be a ground off bolt which is exactly the same size as the head of the rivets, then you need a decent centre punch with a blunt end that matches the rivet end of the rivets, a gentle persuasion with a light hammer to peen over the rivets.

The biggest problem you can cause yourself is to close the rivet too tightly and crack the lining, care with the hammer is what is needed there, you also need to work from one end to the lining other, making sure the lining is tight to the shoe all the way round.

Good luck if you decide to try. Syd

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

I've done them on old bikes years ago. I seem to remember I started from the middle and worked outwards? As Syd says cracking the linings needs to be avoided and accurate drilling and countersinking of holes is critical.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

I bought new linings from David Beales which come complete with rivets. No more expensive than my daily driver and came in two days.
Fitting to the shoes is simple as described above although I purchased a set of punches for the job which makes it easier. Three hands are useful but can be done with two.
Once done I covered the linings with Frog tape (which is not too sticky decorators tape) to stop them getting oily when wrestling them back on. While they were off though I cleaned up everything and lubricated with suitable grease and the difference was astonishing.

If you need help I'll come over and give you a hand if you wish.
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

Thanks for your replies. Graham, I'll send you a PM.