Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Lanchester LA10 Fuel issue

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Lanchester LA10 Fuel issue

Post by theoldman »

I was taughtv to turn it out 6 flats, start the engine and run at a fast - ish tickover then fiddle with the nut until the engine runs the fastest!!!
Normal for Norfolk

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Yes maybe I'm thinking of when the mixture "screw" was a screw on the side as with the Zenith and later SUs, but yes always the fastest tick over. I still wonder whether the jet might need re-centring if it was disturbed in the rebuild?
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Bowedw

Post by Bowedw »

If not sorted by now I would drain all the fuel from the tank including the carb and the delivery line and pump and put in fresh petrol, not petrol that has even stood in a can for a month, fresh petrol and you may be surprised. Do not add to existing petrol, start with all new as I have a feeling that flat petrol sits at the bottom of the tank. Had a similar problem and added fresh to old and when I eventually drained it off my lawn mower would not run properly on it even with more fresh added. I also find that if your plugs are clean it is difficult at times to decide if they are wet or not.
Please post how you get on whatever the solution may be.

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

I know a lot of people say that about old fuel but I've never had a problem with it. The lawnmower always starts first time with last year's petrol and I've run cars and bikes which have been laid up for years and run them on the old fuel but maybe I've just been lucky. I agree that fuel isn't always visible on clean plugs but a good sniff might indicate whether fuel is reaching them.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Bowedw

Post by Bowedw »

I totally agree and have several garden tools with engines and never had any trouble or given a thought to the age of the petrol, until now that is with my little LD10, which went from suddenly running rough to totally dead. New points , condenser,plugs and coil even though there was a nice fat spark before doing that. Roped in the local mechanical genius on all vehicles of this nature and he was as baffled as I was. Drained the system as I stated, hand primed the carb and away she went. The tank was off about 18 months ago so we are not talking about petrol that was years old as the vehicle has been in use.
Only writing of my own experience. Seeing wet plugs and also being able to smell the petrol is something that I have been able to do over the years, even seen petrol drip off then and dipped them in petrol to get some firing response, but both of us could not say for sure in this case. Slipped cam timing was thought about and the valve operation was looked at thoroughly and seemed ok.
Just also thought that I also had the carb off several times, as if by some magic a clean carb would become cleaner, but when desperate you will try anything.