Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Lanchester LA10 Valve Clearances.

Morris Mike

Lanchester LA10 Valve Clearances.

Post by Morris Mike »

Valve clearances for the Lanchester LA10.
10hp engine.

On the rocker cover it states....4.6.

What clearances are others setting theirs at.?
If I open the valve clearance to a lot more than I am used to on other engines I get excellent compression readings.

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Lanchester LA10 Valve Clearances.

Post by Norfolk Lad »

copied from posting on old forum

Hi ,having just re-read these threads, I should admit that I have closed my tappet clearances down from circa 0.058" to 0.048" .My reasoning for this is that I noticed that the LA10 engines required there tappets to be set at these clearances ,and as they both share identical Valve Gear i.e. Camshaft , Tappet Blocks etc.
I thought that I would give it a try,and the engine is certainly quieter .
The only reason that I can think of for the differing Tappet Clearances is, that the LA10 has a 1222 cc engine, and the LA 11 a 1444 cc engine ,so maybe the running temperature / expansion rates of the larger one may have some bearing on the difference.( Reference the "Heat Sink" properties of the Cylinder Head when the Valves are closed ,in an earlier thread)
I do happen to have a brand new/old stock Camshaft,Tappet Blocks and Cam Followers ready to fit one day ,so it will be interesting to see

Yes larger then most .Peter

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

Just for the avoidance of doubt, I assume the tapper gap mentioned on the rocker cover is 46 thou. Not 4.6 thou or 4 to 6 thou. I don't have an LA10 but it was normal for large tappet gaps, so 46 thou. sounds correct.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, yes 0.046 inlet & 0.048 thou Exhaust, is about right, the main reason these engines had large Tappet clearances was to allow the heat in the Valve to be able to disperse more readily, owing to the increased time the Valve Head would be in contact with the Cylinder Head.
In fact, the clearances on my LA11 are specified at being 0.058 thou.

Cheers A'l :D :D

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

A'l was the copy and pasted part from the old forum and he is the man you have it from the man himself now , cheers A'l let us hope it runs now . Peter

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

Guess is the car is running now a update would be good as it is always good to have good news!!.

Morris Mike

Post by Morris Mike »

UPDATE.

The engine now runs as sweet as a nut.

It never started or ran properly when I purchased the car, a combination of previous people fiddling with it prior to my purchase.

She took part in the Syston Park Hillclimb August Bank Holiday.

She ran up the hill great.

I have uploaded some clips on the Lanchester Facebook page.