Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

LD10 starter

Rollmop22

LD10 starter

Post by Rollmop22 »

I believe I have an original starter on my LD10 but am worried about the amount of force that has to be applied to the pull switch to get the starter to turn. I have used a very long cable with slow bends to get the least resistance but it still takes a lot of force and I am worried that the pull switch might pull through the newly refinished dashboard.
Has anyone permanently engaged the pull switch at the starter and fitted a solenoid type switch in the power supply to the starter to make the pull on the starter easier? This or any other suggestions would be much appreciated
Roger
1951 Lanchester LD10 - rolling restoration
1971 Triumph Herald Convertible - nearly concourse.
'Failure is not an option' - in my case it is usually a feature.

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: LD10 starter

Post by Norfolk Lad »

Roger not sure why yours is so had to pull the starter mine is very easy to pull, has it got a return spring fitted which will not allow movement.
The inner wire should move freely and the lever on the starter only moves the contacts together, can see no need for another solenoid as yours should work with little effort.

Rollmop22

Post by Rollmop22 »

Thanks for the reply. I will have to get the starter off and have a look on the bench at what is wrong. Taking off the front wheel and trying to operate the starter directly needs a great deal of effort to close the contacts so it looks like it is time for a service and freeing off session. I will report on the outcome.
Roger

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

Roger just looked at a solenoid which is off a starter i have can press the lever with one finger, it has a spring inside the lever moves a center post which has a contact at the end which fits to starter,
Removed mine with car on ramps not that hard to get off good luck tomorrow.

Rollmop22

Post by Rollmop22 »

I managed to get the starter off, the top bolt is a bit difficult to get at, and found the pull switch very stiff. I took it apart and found it was not sealed and full of road muck. After cleaning, inspection showed very little wrong that a spot of copper slip would not cure. I have reassembled with a thin gasket to keep the muck out and it now operates easily, a firm pull and the engine springs into life.
Many thanks for the help and advice given.
Roger

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

Glad to see you have it working as it should and it has only cost your time plus a bit of copper slip, nice to have a reply to say you have cured the problem well done Roger happy motoring .
Peter