Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

another disaster

1949startinghandle

another disaster

Post by 1949startinghandle »

My LJ200 was running quite well after re-fitting the rebuilt head. But suddenly I was engulfed in steam, and only just got home. The large core plug at the back of the head , (yes, just where it is impossible to really get at it) had popped out. However , steam also seemed to come from the rocker box when the oil cap was removed. perhaps the brand new gasket has blown as well? and they aren't cheap either.
any tips on fitting a core plug properly?

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: another disaster

Post by theoldman »

The head will need to come off for the core plug anyway, so you will need a new gasket - yes - aren't they a price!!!

Have you thought of getting the aperture threaded and fitting a threaded core plug?
Neil
Normal for Norfolk

1949startinghandle

well the aperture is around 2 inches and I don't have a tap and die set that sort of size. It is the biggest core plug I have ever seen. I will just clean up, use some sealant and whack it in properly .

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Salmons »

Neil what happens if the pressure builds up and the threaded core plug will not blow out

1949startinghandle

there are plenty of others to blow out, but the radiator cap should blow long before. They aren't for that anyway - they have no purpose except to fill the casting holes.

Petelang
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Petelang »

Is the steam within the rocker box perhaps from the top face core plugs? I had a leakage there once. It only showed up when engine stone cold and overnight leaked a lot of coolant into the sump from the higher level in the radiator. I stood watching tiny drips appearing, getting bigger then running across the head down the pushrod holes.
Peter
Peter Langridge
Cloud Nine Classic Weddings, Nottingham.

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

Thanks for writing that Peter, I was wondering if this model had core plugs in the face of the head. I had the same with my LD10, I didn't find anything wrong with the head gasket but fitted a new one anyway. It was the core plug that was causing the white smoke.
Once fitted, it can be an idea to pour half a bottle of Radweld+ straight down the thermostat housing then fit the thermostat and top hose. That way, hopefully any potential ill fitting core plugs get sealed up and the radiator receives as little bunging up as possible.

1949startinghandle

the steam was from the huge hole (2") at the back of the head - it had popped out! but I will check the head face core plugs.