Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

best head gasket?

1949startinghandle

best head gasket?

Post by 1949startinghandle »

as you all know now I need a new gasket. which is best - the old style copper or the new style composition/steel type? Both are the same price , each from a separate supplier of Daimler / lanchester stuff.

Petelang
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: best head gasket?

Post by Petelang »

I have experienced, along with others, problems of oil seepage with the composite type where oil is creeping within the layers of the material. I would much favour a copper type if you have the choice. Last time I needed one the options were limited, hence ending up with needing to do the job again.
Peter
Peter Langridge
Cloud Nine Classic Weddings, Nottingham.

1949startinghandle

Now I see what you mean , having removed the head. I will now use a copper one. I will use Stag Wellseal , it seems to be widely recommended.

1949startinghandle

what do you think about fitting copper/asbestos composite gaskets? dry, slightly greased, or Wellseal?