Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Electric Fan

sp250boy

Electric Fan

Post by sp250boy »

Hi,
i need to fit an electric fan behind the radiator of my Lanchester eleven, any suggestions which one I should go for?
It is a Lanchester

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Electric Fan

Post by Salmons »

See my posting on the V8 250 Saloon section. I was recommended to McGill Motorsport and have ordered a fan from them today. They have a good website.
Dennis

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Steve, I have fitted an electric fan to my "Eleven". At the time I needed to remove the Radiator to get it re-cored, so it was an ideal opportunity, having had overheating problems on previous occasions.
Behind the Radiator Grille, you will see a Cross-Tube, I welded on a home made support Bracket and fitted an Electric Fan that I had previously removed from a scrapped Austin 1800, this was ideal, as it was the type that pushed Air from front to back.
Having fitted the Fan, I then wired it to a remote control switch mounted on the Dashboard, fortunately, there was a hole already there that somebody else had drilled.
This has been operating very successfully for more than for nearly 20 years, so, if and when the temperature starts to rise, I just turn on the Fan, this is especially useful when stopped in traffic, of climbing long hills.
Also, as it is situated behind the Grille panel, unless you look very closely, it's virtually "Invisible"!
Best wishes, A'l :D :D

Ps. I did purchase one of the Thermostatic Temperature Control devices, but it was unreliable, so have reverted back to the manual control switch.

sp250boy

Post by sp250boy »

Thanks Al,
I remembering fitting an electric fan from an old Corsa to my Daimler Dart, which worked on a manual switch too.

Not many Austin 1800 left, but will get a suitable size fan to fit behind the radiator.

So many jobs..

Just for the record, I bought the remains of an old Lanchester La11 (EBY 221)
Chassis, and body panels still in tact but engine and Gearbox already gone
eby2 21.jpg
It is a Lanchester

1949startinghandle

Post by 1949startinghandle »

My LJ 200 already had a fan when I bought it , there is a large space in front of the rad and it is fitted there. It was already on a switch but I wired it with a thermostat so there is a fail-safe mechanism. I also found that by removing the engine fan, it never got hot enough to work the electric fan until you stopped for a while (engine still running) . When it popped a core plug, the electric fan got me home without any horrible side effects.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, Steve, it's a shame that Lanchester has had its Engine and Gearbox removed as it looks eminently restorable, however, I do have and LA 11 Engine ( requiring and overhaul of course) and a spare Gearbox.
So before breaking this rare old car, it may be worth concidering fitting these back into the car .
Just a thought ............

Cheers A l :D
Last edited by JT7196 on Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

1949startinghandle

I know the purists don't like it, but the Americans often just put a newer engine and gearbox in. So do some people here. The advantage is, you get a car with no tax, no MOT and low insurance if you retain the chassis number.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, I have a friend who owns a Lanchester, which is fitted with BMC 1800 cc engine. It sounds nice, goes well, But, he refuses to park it next to mine in local shows, as he doesn't want people to compare his " Non Original " Engined car with mine! !
So I wonder why he bought it in the first place ? ?

Cheers A'l :?: :?: :?: :D

1949startinghandle

he could jus keep the bonnet shut! I nearly bought a prewar Morris with a OHV Minor engine. . BUT you should really always update the brakes. If i was younger and had a slightly larger garage I would take the engine from my Jag and stick it in the LJ200. That would be interesting.