Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

lanchester 14 running again BUT

1949startinghandle

lanchester 14 running again BUT

Post by 1949startinghandle »

yes, it's running , but a bit of spitting back. is this due to the ignition being too retarded? I thought the opposite , but going up a hill in top, NO pinking , so is it not advanced enough? I had it OK but lost the setting when renewing the head gasket etc. When they are OK they pull in top from under 10mph.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: lanchester 14 running again BUT

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, Keith, welcome from a very hot and sunnyTurkey!!
Spitting back is usually caused but the mixture being too weak, this maybe due to a couple of things.
Firstly, Carburettor adjustment, try turning the mixture control down a couple of Flats, secondly, you may have an Air leak on the Inlet side, check Carburettor Flange Joint, and the Inlet Manifold Gasket itself.
I would recommend adjusting the mixture in the first instance.

Best wishes A'l 8-) 8-) 8-)

1949startinghandle

I have got it running, I think the timing was way out. It has a Zenith and a little mixture screw , this would not stop it starting from cold as the choke would be over-riding everything. But now it is OK and running nicely with no spitting. By the way it IS possible on this type of carb, for the air cleaner fixing to interfere with the choke mechanism. Things are close together and a Jubilee clip in the wrong place will cause trouble.

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

Keith,
The Zenith carb is fixed jet.

The only adjustment, apart from the slow running screw, is the volume screw.

Get the engine warm and set the slow running screw to a fast idle and then "play" with the voulme screw until it runs fastest. Re - adjust the slow running.

I think I put in the "how to time it up" somewhere else, but all you do is slacken the dizzy, chock the wheels, put the handbrake on and drop it in to top gear. Get the revs up to flywheel stall speed and turn the dizzy until it pinks - then turn back until the pinking stops. re -set tickover and tighten dizzy.
Neil
Normal for Norfolk

1949startinghandle

I think I have it right now. It might be slightly retarded, as it won't pink on a hill. But it runs OK. But yesterday a drip was discovered , showing up on a damp road so now next job is to find the oil/petrol drip. But overall it starts and runs and is much better , using less oil (by 1953 standards of course)

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

It's not really supposed to pink at all keith.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

1949startinghandle

yes, so I think I must have it right.