Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Lanchester 12/6 engine with compressor

Culbu
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Lanchester 12/6 engine with compressor

Post by Culbu »

Good evening every body,

Has anyone already seen or heard about a pre-war Lanchester engine (4 or 6 cylinders) fitted with a compressor ? If someone has, may I have some informations as compressor model, carb model, etc... Pictures welcome !

Thank you

Culbu
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Lanchester 12/6 engine with compressor

Post by Culbu »

By compressor I mean supercharger...

Culbu
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Culbu »

So no one has already considered the fitting of a supercharger on a Lanchester 6 engine ?!?

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Assuming it is extra speed you are after, I guess the answer is that if the engine is fitted in an otherwise standard car, it might be a bit of a hand full to keep it on the road at the new top speed.

I am not so sure, would the bottom end of the engine and the gearbox stand up to the extra power?

About the only people who might be able to help are the so called "Rat Rod" brigade with their chopped body, lowered suspension, boosted engine, bigger brakes and steering mods. Syd

Culbu
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Culbu »

Good evening Syd,

Thank you for your reply.

My intentions are not to make an Hot Rod from a Lanchester (I hate Hot Rods), but just a "Special" as you said in UK. Same chassis, same suspension, same brakes, same transmission, etc... I intend to change to body of course, and if possible to boost a little bit the engine, but a boosted engine is not my priority.

Your remark about the boot end of the engine and the pre-selective Wilson gearbox is not stupid ! The differential may not supported an extra power too...

This is the reason why I try to know if the experience has already been dared !

Anyway, thank you for your answer.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, buy a Blower Bentley,
Like you said, not sure if the transmission etc could handle to the extra power, leave the old dear exactly as she is my friend . :D :D :D

Culbu
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Culbu »

Thank you Big A'l for your reply and your advise. I will probably follow it in a first time...

Rebuild the 12/6 engine I own will perhaps give me enough power. I will let you know in a couple of years I'm afraid.

Thanks again

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, somewhat surprisingly, I believe the that the 1444cc Engine actually produces more HP than your original 6 Cly one. :P
Now far beit for me to suggest that you fit a non original motor in your LA12/6, But I do "happen" to have one complete with Gearbox in my garage, Nudge, Nudge !! ;) ;) ;) ;)

Best wishe, Big Bad A'l :D :D :D

Culbu
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Culbu »

Dear Big A'l,

I appreciate your offer but the engine (a 6-cylinder supposed coming from a 1935 Lanchester 12/6) is the only part of my future "Special" than I own. I will not purchase another engine, even a more powerful one.

Anyway, thank you.

Julian

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

I guess if you are building a special you have to start somewhere, why not with a straight six :D

Good luck with the project, hope you are going to make it period. Syd