Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Crank

Culbu
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Crank

Post by Culbu »

Hello,

Does anyone know where I could purchase a crank for a 1933 Lanchester LA10 ? By crank, I mean the tool that allows to turn the engine by hand, through the radiator ?

Thanks,

Julian

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Crank

Post by theoldman »

You mean a "starting handle", Julian! :D
Neil
Normal for Norfolk

Culbu
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Culbu »

You’re probably right Neil. Your English seems better than mine ! ;)

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

Hello,
If you want one to use rather than be an original, the handle for a J type MG(I think) will fit. I'd need to check the dimensions to be absolutely sure but I have both the car and the handle and can measure up later just to be certain of the type. I'm pretty certain from memory it isn't a P type as the one I used to have was longer as the Lanchester 10 handle is particularly short.

The 1932-34 handle is different to the 1935 on handle which has a boss to fit the hole in the radiator shell whereas the earlier one doesn't.

New MG handles can be bought from the Octagon Car Club - they sell to non members at a slightly higher price. Although very slightly under diameter, they are nicely made and finished with a brass rotating grip and enameled black shaft.
Page 7 of the price list, Part No SBE093 IF I have remembered the right one !!! £29.70 + postage.

http://www.mgoctagoncarclub.com/Parts/parts.html

or maybe

http://www.sportsandvintage.co.uk/news.htm

Of course, someone may have one secondhand. If you find one with damaged pins and it's cheap enough, the pin can be drilled out and a new one made from silver steel rod and the handle heated to fit.

Culbu
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Culbu »

Good afternoon Simon,

Thank you for your reply. May you please confirm me that the J-typ MG starting handle can be used on an early LA10 Lanchester ? I'm absolutely not in a hurry so take your time !

Thanks again.

Julian

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

Good afternoon Julian,

I'm attaching two photos of a reproduction handle I have for my 10. It is 14 inches overall length, diameter at the starting dog end is three quarters of an inch. The MG handle is smaller in diameter but does fit and work. I have not found it yet as we have recently moved and although I saw it when I put it somewhere, I will have to move a few cars to get into the cupboards I have things stored in and that may be a job for the weekend. What I'd like to be able to do is show you the two handles side by side and maybe also fitting on the car so you can see what the size differences are.

I have however found a link to a page showing the pre war MG handles available and item No 7 is the one in question which is indeed for a J type.

http://mg-parts-spares.co.uk/parts-cata ... additions/

This firm is rather dearer than the Octagon Club but they have a great range of items available. Easy to see why MGs make such good money!
Attachments
handle3.jpg
handle2.jpg

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

I hadn't forgotten about this but eventually found the handle in No. 3 parts store in a loft.
As you can see, it fits in between the bumper and the radiator, although a bit longer than the original. It is smaller in the bore but does allow you to set the points and tappets or start a warm engine.
Attachments
20171127_221459.jpg
20171127_221435.jpg
20171127_221402.jpg

Culbu
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Culbu »

Thank you very much Simon. Is it possible to use this crank on a early Daimler Light 15 Sportsman ?

bop

Post by bop »

Hi Julian,
You might find this link helpful with regards to the Daimler question.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1968

Bob

Culbu
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Culbu »

Thanks Bob. Very useful link indeed.

Does anyone get an early Daimler Light 15 crank for sale by chance... ?

Julian