Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

compression

Mnha875

compression

Post by Mnha875 »

What is a good compression in psi or bar for an average LA10 engine? Following that are there oversized pistons and rings available?
Any words of wisdom gratefully received.

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: compression

Post by Norfolk Lad »

Mike sure AL will tell you the compression now on forum as JT7196 , he is the registrar for the LA10 so he will like to update his records.
A'L has carried out a recent engine rebuild so will point you in the right direction.

Welcome to the forum and i live in your area and based south of Norwich will be good to have another Lanchester Boy ,is your car on the road or are you restoring one.

Peter

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

The theoretical PSI figure for a 1203cc engine which has a compression ratio of 6:1 would be about 122 PSI. Assuming about 10% overestimation, 110 PSI new so anything around 80-90 would seem not too bad at all for a decent engine.

Out of interest, why go straight to thinking that the rings or pistons would be the problem? Possibly you've already been at everything else but first I'd look at the valve clearances (46 thou if that's the right model), tightness of the spark plugs, condition of the head gasket , grinding the valves and valve spring condition. Valve timing is also a potential issue if the engine has been apart or if the timing chain hasn't been tightened for some time on this model.

New old stock pistons sometimes turn up on ebay for sale, so far at fairly reasonable prices.

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

I have a few sets of pistons and rings in various sizes.
The pin size and clamping method changed over the years.

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

These have been on ebay and are listed as not sold so could still be available as listing ended last week, like Simon says they turn up on ebay as old stock if you find you need them/
I think Marcel had some sets for sale at one time who is a member on here.

can correct that as he has just posted .

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi,Mike, welcome to the forum, could you please send me the following details of your LA 10 please?
Date of 1st Registration
Reg No
Chassis No,
Body Type & Manufacturer
Body Colour/s
Interior Colour
Your contact details

Send to:-

Alan.wheatley63@gmail.com

Best wishes A’l :D :D

Mnha875

Post by Mnha875 »

I would like to thank all those who have responded to this post and some who have entered into email correspondence out general view.
My first "toe in the water" has been a very comfortable experience.
Mike.