Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Fluid flywheel brass casing plug

bop

Fluid flywheel brass casing plug

Post by bop »

I have a Daimler 15 with a damaged brass blanking/casing plug (part number 259243) on the fluid flywheel case which I totally destroyed while removing it.
1.jpg
Does anyone out there know the correct size/threads and where I could purchase some? I think mine are 3/8"-18. I tried 3/8"NPT and it goes in a turn or so before getting hand tight. Are the threads supposed to be tapered as in pipe thread or parallel thread?
thanks
Bob

Crossley Stephenson

Re: Fluid flywheel brass casing plug

Post by Crossley Stephenson »

I'm surprised no one has responded to this post. Surely the FF plugs are the same on all FF, Daimler or Lanchester. If so there must be someone with a spare.

Micgael

Sid

Post by Sid »

Would it not be a BSP rather than a NPT thread? 3/8" would be 19 threads per inch or 18 respectively

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

They're not the same. I have a spare fluid flywheel sitting which has different sized and possibly different threaded plugs to my LA10 although the same overall sized unit. Some plugs have no internal square, I think.

I did need a new brass plug when I bought the car and I bought a brass drain plug from Vintage Supplies which was the same thread. The weight was close enough to not require any material being removed although somewhere I have a similar plug which I have drilled brass out of from another car in the past.

However, with both near continuous work and fairly difficult weather here, looking anything out and thread measuring is something for the weeks to come. It isn't a forgotten question, just one that I can't answer in detail at this moment which is why I've said 'I think' as the specifics on individual cars sometimes become slightly blurred unless you can get out and see the specific bits to refresh the memory.

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

My E20 parts book lists the plug as 279679, so I would hazard they are not all the same.
Normal for Norfolk

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi , I have a spare fluid Flywheel so will attempt to take a look in the morning. The Plugs in the Flywheel in my “Eleven” incorporate both an internal Square, and an external Hexagon which is about 7/16” W , but not sure about those in the spare at this time .

Cheers A’l :D

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

My 56 Conquest has both internal square and external hex. Still can't get the B@$***d out though!
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

You need one of Mr. Nash's removing tools and 3 foot bar!!!!!
Normal for Norfolk

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Fortunately I've never encountered a problem removing them, just lucky I suppose.........

Cheers A'l :D :!: :!:

bop

Post by bop »

Went out to garage this evening and measured my brass plug.
3.JPG
Then compared it to one Marcel sold me last year.
4.JPG
I think mine is 3/8" BSP and the other is 1/2" BSP.
2.JPG
I guess there are at least 2 sizes of plugs, if not more.

Marcel is trying to find me a correct one. I also bought some 3/8" solid brass BSPP with hexagonal heads off ebay. I might be able to work them so they weigh the same as the originals. Post is slow to Canada but will give update when they arrive.

Bob
ps. the chisel marks on my plug are from before my time, the one I removed had to be drilled out :lol: