Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Lanchester La11 windscreen

sp250boy

Lanchester La11 windscreen

Post by sp250boy »

Hi Guys,
I need a new windscreen rubber for my Lanchester La11, and a nice chap called Mark Bearman (great name) has offered to help.

My question is, how do you get the screen apart so the new rubber can be fitted...

Thanks in advance for any information and guidance...

thanks
Steve
It is a Lanchester

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Lanchester La11 windscreen

Post by JT7196 »

X
Last edited by JT7196 on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

[quote=JT7196 post_id=17618 time=1517074761 user_id=99]
Hi I presume that you have removed the Windscreen already? If not, you will need to remove the Trim over the Screen ,and remove the retaining screws ( always a good idea to take photos at this stage)
Once removed, you will notice that their are Two CSK Screws on either side of the Frame , about half way up , take great care removing these as they will be invariably either seized or at least very hard to remove .
Once removed, the Two halves of the Screen can be separated, when fitting the new Rubber Seal, remember to apply some sealant to the Inside and the Outside of the Seal ,otherwise you may find that it will leak in the corners
( I didn’t do that so I now get water dripping in the corners of the Screen when driving in the rain!! ) .
If I can be of any further help, just let me know .

Cheers A’l :D :D

Ps, Forgot to mention, that the Two Screws are of course located under the Outer Sealing Rubber, !, 😀

sp250boy

Post by sp250boy »

Thanks AL,
I will try and remove the csk screws latter.

Windscreen is removed and resting on the table in the kitchen...
It is a Lanchester

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Maybe a good idea to give them a good soak with some WD40 or something similar,

Cheers A’l :D

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, just thought, I suppose it was the Inner Rubber Seal that you were planning to replace as well as the Outer one :oops:

Cheers A’l 😀😀

sp250boy

Post by sp250boy »

Didn't know there was an inner and outer seal...Doh.
It is a Lanchester

sp250boy

Post by sp250boy »

Hi Al,
Sorry being obtuse but don't want to go in heavy handed and break things..

1) Looking at the front of the screen (from outside the car) how do I remove the chrome trim, does this just prize off?
2) Looking at the screen (from in the car) there are 4 csk screws that hold the brackets on, which I've removed but the trim still seems fixes and firm.
IMG_7500.JPG
IMG_7501.JPG
It is a Lanchester

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Do Not , repeat do not, try to prize the Chrome Trim off , as it is the actual frame of the Screen
.The Screws that I was referring to are the ones at the join on the side of the Screen, ( middle picture) when removed, this will allow the Two halves of the Screen Surround to be separated.
There is a seal that sits in the groove around the Screen that the Glass is located in, this Seal is aroud an 1” side and is approx 1/16” thick, this can be found on the Complete Automobist web site.
This Seal is the I one that I was referring to, would benefit having a light coating of Sealant, to prevent ingress of water , believe me , it Will find its was around the Glass !
You may also give a light coat in the Groove that the Outer Seal fits in.
Remember to allow a little extra on the length of both
seals to ensure that they abut tightly together, also it is preferable to cut the joints at a slight angle , and of course Outer Seal should be central at the base of the Windscreen Frame .

Best wishes A’l :D

sp250boy

Post by sp250boy »

Hi Al,
Finally found the screws after I pulled out the rubber seal... Doh. I try to over complicate things at times; the screws are seized so I may have to leave the inner seal alone.

I have tried Mark Bearman, who does not have the tooling for the windscreen seal that I need, do you know anybody that may have some. I have looked on Woolies...

IMG_7514.JPG
It is a Lanchester