Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Radiator Muffs / Blinds

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Radiator Muffs / Blinds

Post by ranald »

A nice crisp dry day and salt free roads encouraged me out in the car today. However, zero temperature and no thermostat meant the coolant didn't reach normal working temperature. Had me thinking about 1930s photos I have of my car clearly showing it with a blind fitted externally. Does anyone still use these? I suppose it wouldn't be too difficult to make, the challenge being a very secure fitting!

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Radiator Muffs / Blinds

Post by JT7196 »

Hi
, I have been using my Lanchester exclusively for the last few days , owing to the demise of the ECU on my MG ZS ,
I too have noticed that the temp gauge is registering much lower than normal , I do have an original Muff ,and have considered fitting it, perhaps I’ll dig it out and try to fit it, to see what difference it makes !!

Cheers A’l 8-)

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

Hi Al, Thanks for your reply. If you do fit it, would you be kind enough to post a photograph? Thanks, Ranald

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

I seem to remember it was a very popular thing to do in the good old days. I remember my dad fashioning one out of cardboard and threading it through various radiator grills on freezing mornings.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

marchesmark
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by marchesmark »

I'm sure I read somewhere recently that a company in UK has started remanufacturing rad muffs for classic cars. I could certainly do with one for my car.

Mark

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Chaps, here are some pictures of my car with its Radiator Muff fitted, unfortunately, it’s rather old and tatty, with some of the fixings ans tie straps misding.
I guess that it must be a rare item ,as it looks like it was designed specifically for this model .
7B4D1FA3-9E74-4F0D-B3F5-8AABE2E45DF0.jpeg
DD363B99-31BA-4941-B8D3-A660866221B3.jpeg
11192FA0-8A83-49B2-8F94-06185C6AD9B3.jpeg
Cheers A’l

Apologies for the poor quality of the pictures, had an unusual event today, yes you’ve guessed it, the Sun 🌞 actually came out to play!!!

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

Thanks Alan. I attach a photo of my car (probably in Norfolk) . I think it is early, maybe 1933/34. The design of the radiator muff looks the same as yours although obviously customised for the 15/18. You are very lucky to have an original survivor! What material/s is it made of ? How do the fixings and tie straps work?
Lanchester radiator muff.jpg

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Ranald, I’ll it examine closely tomorrow and get back to you.

:D Cheers A’l

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, took my Lanchester out again today, as my MG is still very poorly! I have been using it as everday transport for most of this week, and the Temp Gauge, has hardly lifted off the bottom of the Gauge, pretty constant 80/90 deg,
I had thought about blanking the Radiator, but we do have an enormous amount of road works going on throughout most of the town, with the resultant traffic jams, so thought that I would leave well alone .

Cheers A’l 😀😀

sp250boy

Post by sp250boy »

IMG_0066.jpg
IMG_0067.jpg
Couple of pictures of the Al's Radiator Muff
It is a Lanchester