Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Information on rear luggage travel trunk

zagatoman

Information on rear luggage travel trunk

Post by zagatoman »

Hi all, wonder if you might be able to help.

I recently purchased for restoration a rear travel trunk that sits on the rear of a vintage car and have been told by the previous owner it was original for a Lanchester. Question is, is this trunk for a Lanchester and if so, what model. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have included a couple of photos a and measurements.

94cm wide x 56cm high x 50cm deep

Thanks, Paul
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Information on rear luggage travel trunk

Post by JT7196 »

Lanchester 15/18 maybe?

Cheers A’l 😀😀

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

IMG_1919.JPG
It is possible the trunk might have been used on a Lanchester 15/18 or Lanchester 18. I attach a photograph of the 'folding type' luggage grid detailed in the Spare Parts Catalogue. My own 15/18 has an integral boot and therefore doesn't have the grid, however, I have contacted another owner who tells me the base area of the grid is 54cm deep x 92cm wide, at the rear of the grid area is a raised stop bar 40mm high this stops any trunk movement towards touching the bodywork. All grid bars are of solid metal which gives a firm base for the trunk"

I doubt however if it was specifically for this make / model of car but would have fitted several others. If you are considering selling it, we could place an advert in our monthly club magazine. All the best, Ranald

zagatoman

Post by zagatoman »

Hi Renald, thanks for all the information.

Yes I might consider selling as it was bought for me as a gift for my Morris but is far to big for my rack. Not knowing or ever owning this type of luggage trunk I am not sure what it could be worth, what would you think?. I will try and find out how much it was purchased for.

All the best, Paul

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

Paul, I've sent you an email through the Forum providing my email address. I will be happy to arrange an advert in our club magazine.. Regards, Ranald